Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The TV Cable (Kickdown Cable) Post

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Jan 7, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Alright, just put in a new 700R4 and started the test drive. It took a little over 12 quarts of ATF to get it shifting properly... now Im just screwing around with the kickdown cable adjustment. I adjusted it so that @ full throttle the cable is pulled all the way open as far as it will go.

The only thing is the shift points are very high... it takes some more RPMs than normal to get into the next gear. I was wondering... is this how it works:

The tighter the kickdown cable, the higher the shift points, and the looser the cable, the lower the shift points?

I want to get this thing perfect!

2. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

The more pull on the TV cable the more pressure and higher shift points because of a wide open throttle senario. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. K5thatShmobs

Any suggestions on adjusting the cable? I know at full throttle it should be opening the throttle valve all the way, but any suggestions specific to the "D" shaped button and the racheting mechanism used to adjust the line?

Thanks

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

It sounds like you have too much pressure.
    Just push the D button and rachet out the slider a kilck then drive it. Keep doing this till the shifts feel right. It doesn't take much to make a diference
    If the 700r4 is stock( no shift kit, modified servo, valves ECT) it should shift a little on the soft side.
    Unless it has heavy duty parts in it firm hard shifts will cause unnessary wear.
    Under normal acceleration the shifts should be smooth without any slipping or grabbing between gears.

5. K5thatShmobs

Thanks I appreciate the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif