Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The Ultra Efficient Car - 157MPG!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Feb 28, 2006.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

http://www.i4u.com/article5165.html

German Loremo AG will introduce their ultra Efficient Car at the Motor Show 2006 (site) in Geneva next week.

The car start-up developed a light-weight passenger car with outstanding aerodynamics. The Loremo LS is powered by a 2 cylinder Turbo Diesel engine with 20 hp and 160km/h top speed. The amazing thing is that the Loremo only needs 1.5l per 100km. This is approx. 157MPG!
    The Toyota Prius hybrid has only 55MPG (combined city and highway).
    With one tank (20l) you could drive 1,300km.

Loremo AG plans to sell the Loremo LS for less than 11,000 Euros (~$13,000).
    One reason for the low consumption is the low weight of 450kg. The company designed the Loremo focusing on safety and efficiency and got rid of unnecessary functions. The car is small but still provides space for 4.
    The design of the car is very futuristic and has for instance no conventional doors.

Loremo AG also plans to offer the Loremo GS with a bit stronger engine (50 hp, 2.7l/100km) that reaches top speeds of 220km/h (for the German Autobahn).

2. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Wonder if it will run on biodiesel?

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Is till don't get how you get into it???

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

beam me up scotty

5. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

450kg

450kg = 992 lbs

This is what i want to be riding in with a 80,000 lb rig in my rear view,,NOT !!

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

With 4 people in it the top speed is 19 mph. The max weight of people and cargo is probably around 280 lbs.

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Guess I wont be driving that car :whistle::whistle::whistle:

8. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

That makes 70lb/person without gear. 4 small asians would hardly fit in that thing:haha: :haha: :haha:

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

still waiting for such a company to make "the commuter"... basically a smallish Geo Metro like thing, but with super-high-tech low weight parts, one passager plus a small storage area... runs on very small turbo desiel, but the desiel is just there to make electricity for inside-the-wheel electric motors that would power the car (GM has prototypes of these motors... kinda neat having no tranny, driveshaft or axles!). Extra juice comes from parking The Commuter on an (included) charging strip that lays on your garage floor. No plugging in required, you just park your car as you normally would and the car charges automatically. Don't see any reason at all that 200mpg isn't very possible.

j

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

oh good grief, i really don't think they had this design of a car intended for "family and friends" use,,,it would be the perfect "go to wor and back home" car though.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

new "old" tech!...

Ferdinand Porcshe originally wanted to use "hubcap" motors in the VW Beetle,4 electric motors mounted right next to the spindles,and was planning on using a gas motor only to recharge the batteries!..this was way back in the 1930's!..but Hitler wanted a simpler,more rugged and reliable "peoples car",so he had him scrap those plans..they also tried a radial air cooled engine before settling on the horizontally opposed air cooled 4 banger design..the radial engine was a total disaster ,despite its great performance in many planes,he couldn't keep a crank in one during testing!..

I read somewhere it only takes about 12 hp to keep a light car moving at 50 mph on a fairy level road...not as much as I thought it would..I don't think its possible to get much more than 50 mpg,and still have a vehicle that can carry 4 people at normal highway speeds,and climb all the hills..my diesel VW Jetta got 43 mpg,and I could cruise at 80 mph with 4 people in it..a pretty remarkable distance,for that kind of weight..I didn't like being near a tractor trailer in it though...felt like I'd make a good wheel chock!..:eek1: :crazy:

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

You lift it over top of you, and set it down around you. Pull up your feet, slide closed the trap door, and blaze down the highway at a screaming 19 mph!

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Silly rabbit their is no trap door it's a Flintstonemobile, thats why the good gas milage...:haha: :haha: :haha: