Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the vac. advance on my dist isn't hooked up to anything...is this bad???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 01maroonz71, Jan 25, 2007.

1. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

haha...well, i've searched and searched and come up with a couple different answers...the truck i just bought has a mallory ignition/distributor with vaccuum advance, and the vaccuum port on the dizzy isn't hooked up to anything...does this mean i don't have any advance???? and this is bad right??? may be making it feel like it's got no "go" really. lower RPM's seem to be ok, but when it gets up there...there is more to be desired... i have a holley carb and can't find anywhere to hook it up to like on my edelbrock

if i asked some dumb questions, don't call me a window licker just yet...as carbs are new to me...but i am learning alot thanks to ya'll....thanks!!!

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It should be hooked up to the front metering block on the pass side of the carb. Check your timing and start with it unhooked. That is your base or static timing. Should be 8-12 degrees. Then rev the engine up to about 3000 rpm. That is your mechanical timing as advanced by the weights in the dist. Then hook up your vac. advance, run to about 3000 again and check it. The total amount shouldn't be above 35 or so. Unless you've really got things dialed in, and no detonation then maybe 38-40 max.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yep, that's bad, and yep, it should advance more as the motor winds up, and yep, that could cause your dieseling =))

-- A

4. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

awesome guys...thanks!!!! hey dremu...your paint job is badass man...im gonna do something like that on my 87...but with a few diff colors.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

LOL, snort. Thanks. It's, say, fifty foot good... I did it with rattle cans and looks like crap up close, but then it's my 'wheeler.

The other two came out much better as I did much more prep work (actually *washed* the trucks first, for instance :haha: )

-- A