Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the wandering k30

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Jul 26, 2004.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

My front end has started to wander alot. I inspected the frame and found some 8" cracks so I welded them up and added a brace. It still wandered so I inspected further and noticed the drag link had *some* play in the joints...replaced them this evening....it still seems to respond poorly... I can turn the wheel about a 1/4 turn without turning the wheels. Could this be a steering box failure? Its getting hard to control on the back roads so I HAVE to find the culprit soon....

any help is good help:)

2. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

can you turn the wheel a 1/4 turn with out the pitman arm moving it could be the worm gear in the box is loose /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif mine was loose in my truck.
    all you got to do is loosen the jam nut in the front of the box and screw the center in until the slop is gone them tighten the jam nut up. i didn't have a big enough wrench so i use a hammer and a chisle works good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Mine does this too! I had a box leaking like a siv, to I slapped in a friend's crossover conversion leftovers. After I swapped in the box from the ~'87 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif, I had a lot of slop. It's getting really annoying having to anticipate the turns, I have about 1/4 turn in either direction before it turns.

It's gotta be the box, that's the only thing I changed. Does anyone have pics on this nut that needs tightened? I don't want to mess something up, but would love to have this fixed.