Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the world of IFS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Jul 9, 2006.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

in a few menutes.. ill be entering the world of IFS:eek1: :doah: :tongue1: :screwy: :yikes: :1zhelp:

the t-case on my 3/4 ton burb is about to come out, this will be my first encounter with these buggurs call "torsion bars":yikes:

just the sound of them sends a shiver down my spine.. but I waited untill dark and its finally under a 100 degrees so now is the time...Im about to go set it up and bust out the tools, I have untill 8am 1 man vs 1 broke t-case..who will win:D

wish me luck and sanity:usaflag:

2. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

what did you do to the case?

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IFS.... It F'n Sucks
    J/k. You'll do fine, we have faith in ya...

4. supersize75k5

it makes a neat sound like someone it dragging a car on its side up a cliff at 2am

and if put into 4x4...it just cant be put into words but it aint pretty

status report..

--pizza was dilivered, pizza driver had flat..flat is plugged and pizza was thus free:bow: :D

--pizza is cold

--fan and misters are on, hose had a crack..now no mister:(

--the stars aligned just right and my reciver hitch and the top of my forhead went on a collision path..headache and pizza driver had no asprin:doah: nice bump on my head

-broken socket forced the use of grinder:grind:

pics to follow..

back to the fun I go..

5. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

What year is this burban?? I work at a local trans shop and never had to remove the torsion bars and or brackets to get the t-case out, its tight, but with some figgiling it will come out ,make sure transmission is jacked up a litle bit to help the transfer case come down between the tranny and torsion bar crossmember.. Nate

6. NateInChandler

BTW if you need any help with the internals of the t-case, DO NOT BE AFFRAID TO CALL ME even if its 1am, 480-209-2949, im jsut up the street from ya.. nate

7. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Mark the torsion bar adjusting bolts, and take those suckers out! then you won't have to deal with them.

8. supersize75k5

nate thanks for he call ealier,

however.. I have fiddled with it everyway I can, and it just wont clear:(

I also tried jacking up the tranny and it still is kickin my butt, I just need like 1/2 inch! I can see about 3/4 inch of the slines from the tranny output shaft.

the only thing worse then working in the dirt is working in dirt on concrete with no shirt...ouch

I ended up marking the torsion bars but cant figure out how to loosen the keys, I tried putting the front on the ground so weight was on the a-arms and its still tight.. I feel like I am missing something simple...

the torsion crossmember is still very tight even with the bolts out

9. supersize75k5

still no luck

read around on the net found this

"The installation pretty much requires the standard tools with the exception of the torsion bar unloader. If you are going to do this at home then we suggest that you order one. You can get one online from DriveWerks for $91.

son of a biotch:(

I cant believe the thing wonk wiggle out, I have half the mind to go get my f-ing grinder and solid axle swap this damn thing..:rolleyes: to late to take it to a shop:doah:

hmm I have the leaf brackets, shackle brackets and shackles from ruff tuff specialties already..and an axle as well as the u-bolts all just laying around, a little math and a front crossmember/subframe and this thing would be torsionbarless:thinking:

ok before I get crazy I am going to go yell at it somemore and wiggle it..giggle it or whatever need be... hell maybe partially dissaemble the case or start notching crap:hack: :shame:

7 hours till 8am

10. supersize75k5

ok desperation is setting in..

it just wont wiggle out

so the way I see it.. I need to get the sawall out and C-secction this motherf-er.. just remove the console and cut a big hole in my floor red neck style..the atf should make for a nice smell all over my leather seats:hack:

or I take a big f-ing hammer to the aluminum case..and get it out

or........ go pull my motor mount bolts and move the motor forward a couple inches

or just buy the damn torsion tool that I can spring the 91 bucks for:rolleyes:

or torch the thing out, burn the truck down in the processand then not have to worry about it at all:tongue1:

off I go with my new found ideas...this sob is going to be out by 8am one way or another though..where are my saftey glasses..this could get interesting:grind:

6 hours till 8 am

11. supersize75k5

update..

the vending machine is out of dr pepper:eek1: :eek: :yikes:

and this little project of simply removing a transfercase from a 99 burb has now lost its entertainment value that gm built into the design.

forhead still hurts but bump feels like it has gone down a little

pauly383..you get to work at 8am..which it a mile from here....your turn for mcdonalds:deal:

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

wait you have a vending machine in you garage?
    *napolean voice* Luuuucky*napolean voice*

13. supersize75k5

:crazy:

update 2:46am

cafeeen levels are dangerously low.. desire for dr peper is growing stronger

the freaking t-case is out...used my feet and my hand to work it back.:crazy: then fight it as every one of the inch long studs sticking out grabed at the t-case adapter:mad:

now about this mess and tools everywhere....

entertainment level has now peaked and I am thankfull this was not a 203 t-case.

14. supersize75k5

lol no, my house it stashed full with soda though,

the shop im at is a friends, he is also a wheeling buddy, anyways I do my body work here now, as well as for a trade off help him when he is behind or a car turns into a night mare..a while back I posted pics of a 67 black fire bird 400 convert, got that finished up last night so it can be delivered monday, it was not assmbled and the detailer burned through on a few edges so it needed some attention, since I spent my time on that, the t-case turned into sunday night/monday morning:( I like beeing here more anyways, out side shower with oarge soap dispencer..a car lift, temp controled paint booth, good lighting and a great air system, and its zoned industrial so no residential people around to grip at a impact at 2am:wink1:

ingnore the spelling, im freaking wipped out.

15. NateInChandler

That torsion bar unloader is not needed if you have a ball joint press.. it works the same way by unloading the cam from the tab it sits on.. just be careful.. nate

16. supersize75k5

thanks again nate:waytogo:

17. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

well me and timmay are over here rolling on the floor from your drama story wow you mean your not done yet?