Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the world's first 4 bolt 305

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Jun 27, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

the world\'s first 4 bolt 305

OK, Just got the engine out of my red and white 84. The guy I bought it from of course says it's original. (yeah) Well, I read the carb numbers a while back and they start with 1705. (not exactly 1984 carb) no biggie except it doesn't have the return port for the cannister. Got the motor on the stand to check bearings and got my first look at the caps. 4 bolt. So I flipped it over and checked out the number (14010207) Title and guy I got it from both say 305. Gee, Darn. Nice finding good surprises every once in a while. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

Re: the world\'s first 4 bolt 305

I would have to say thats perty cool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Good deal! even a worn out 4 bolt/350 is better than a 305. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. georgiared84

Now for the price of the cam and bearing kits I was going to put in it if it was a 305, I can go ahead and put in a whole rebuild kit.

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

my part number book says that block is a 80-85 350 2 or 4 bolt.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...cool 4 you man

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Just to let you know, that's an 010 block, and is something that is sought after. GM added, I think, more nickel to the block which made the casting stronger, close in strength to forged. I.E., you pretty much have a forged block, if that was ever possible... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 010 stories begin...

I've heard all sorts of 010 stories and haven't seen anything that backs them up. Do you have a link to a reliable source?

FWIW some corvette 305's came with 4 bolt mains...but it's pretty rare.

Rene

8. georgiared84

Yeah, I was glad to see those numbers. I was planning on putting new bearings in just to hold it over for a while until I got a chance to finish one of my other engines, but, since it's a 350 and not a 305 and the measurements all look good, bore measured at 4.030 and there is no ridge. Hone marks still showing all the way around the cylinders, so I'm just going to clean it, hone the cylinders one more time and put in a rebuild kit from Northern.
    And, yes, i know about 010 blocks.

9. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Whats the story with 010 350 blocks?

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

ya never no what you are going to run into. i had a 350 4 bolt out of a 79, (my 79), i sold it to a guy for 250'00. the engine never ticked or anything, no poop.anyway it needed an oil pump and i got sick of working on it. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think the "010/020" casting thing is a load of crap, and no one has yet to prove otherwise.

Just looked at a 1984 Popular Hot Rodding magazine, and back then, there was no mention that 010/020 meant different block casting composition. As a matter of fact, back then, "010" meant a 4" bore, and that was one of the "block ID" methods. The "010" myth at that time was that "010" indicated a 4 bolt block. Nice how this has evolved over time. Here's a good test, anyone got pictures of any motor *but* a 4.3 V6/327/350 with "010" on it? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Until you see some actual block material sample test results, or GM literature that states as such, it's a myth. NO ONE has come up with anything except links and print material that have no proof to back up these claims.

I'm still waiting for people to send me block samples so I can prove/disprove this, I should have no problem having them analyzed as long as I can come up with enough different samples (none-010, 010 and/or 020 castings, plus early and later blocks) to make it worthwhile. (hint hint folks with busted motors laying around)

13. georgiared84

That argument should go on as long as the "should I go sm465 or th400" one. I was just glad it was a 350 instead of a 305. Turns out the lack of power was carbon buildupo and a worn out cam.

14. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    hat argument should go on as long as the "should I go sm465 or th400" one

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it *could* go on that long, if people don't send me pieces of their broken blocks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Always nice to find a problem is relatively "minor". Got a free 350 one time that had "ticking lifters". Some of the rockers weren't tight enough. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a block at our storage shed that I believe has the "010" on the front. It is cracked in the lifter valley. I will get you some pics. What areas do you specifically want? Not sure if I wanna submit a smaple yet though as my local builder says its fixable.....

16. dyeager535

I just need a small sample, about 1" by 1" square. Apparently shavings from drilling will work, but I'd not want to risk the drill bit coating or material contamination.

When (if) pieces are obtained, I like to know as much as possible about the block. A lot of info can come from the suffix code, but block casting number, location of the "010" and/or "020" (above oil filter pad, under timing chain cover, at bellhousing mating surface, etc), 2 vs. 4 bolt, date code, and any other cast in letters/numbers are all appreciated. (instead of "010" you might see "089" in the bellhousing area for instance, although I made that number up. I've seen other numbers there.) Helps to ensure that any results will be indisputable based on year especially, since some people also believe that earlier blocks had better metal composition.

Of course, only testing one year of a casting number won't tell the whole story, but if say two blocks from the late 60's are tested (one 010 and one not) and then a block from '79 without that is tested, you can probably rightly assume if the '79 block has less added material than either of the 60's blocks, GM got cheaper later on.

I'm working on this for other GM blocks as well, Oldsmobile for instance is rumored to have had better material in their blocks than Chev (of course no proof there either) so I'm accepting samples from the 5 GM Divisions to have tested at the same time.

Going to copy and paste this in a new thread since it's been awhile since I've asked. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif