Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The WTF File - 03/14 - Potholes galore?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

BEIJING (Reuters) - [size=-1]China's capital is testing a new kind of manhole cover to put a lid on rampant theft, Xinhua news agency said on Sunday. [/size]

[size=-1]
    Missing manhole covers are a hazardous fact of life on the sidewalks and roads of Beijing where they are stolen to be sold as scrap for a couple of dollars each.

"The new manhole covers will be made of non-metal materials with no recycling value," Wang Xin, spokesman for the city's utilities management department, was quoted as saying.

Beijing has more than 600,000 manhole covers across the city owned by 18 companies. "Approximately 240,000 manhole and street- drain covers were stolen in Beijing in 2004," Xinhua said.

[/size]

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Amazing! I remember reading about the power lines being taken down and sold for the copper somewhere!:confused: :confused: :confused:

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I've heard of people shooting power lines down with .22s.

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

with the price of steel going up, that doesn't sound like a bad idea;)

i wonder if people over there rummage through the garbage to get scrap? that's nuts.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i remember seeing a pic in a national geographic years back, of a sorting yard.

huge ships would drop off all the old cirict boards and computers and junk in japan because it is so mineraly poor, ans these women would sit there and sort out the transisters ans resister and, they wouls reclame all the materiels.

and i meen there were huge piles these were frighters drpoing this stuff off!

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

where do you find this stuff,PAUL??:laugh: :laugh: circuit boards are worth money here. the scrapyard i go to told me its a hot item.