Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

The WTF File - 04/18 - Revenge of the Movie Nerds

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Can Can, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Good thing they weren't going to a Star Wars flick, eh?:D

"Mad Max" fans arrested for fuel tanker stunt"

[size=-1]SAN ANTONIO - [size=-1]Eleven "Mad Max" fans armed with fake machine guns were arrested after they surrounded a tanker truck while making their way to a movie marathon in a theatrical convoy. [/size]

[size=-1]As the group headed to San Antonio on Saturday, police received several calls from drivers who reported a "militia" surrounding a tanker truck.

Police charged nine people with obstruction of a highway and two others with possession of prohibited knives in addition to the obstruction charge.

One of the organizers, Chris Fenner, said the arrests were unfair. He said he didn't know why anyone would have confused the costumed crew recreating a scene from "Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior" — set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland — with a real threat.

"I honestly don't know how that could be, because 'Road Warrior' was so over the top," he said.

The movie marathon was canceled after the arrests.
    [/size]
    [/size]

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

That's puttin the ole brain pan to work now ain't it? :screwy:

3. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nothing was put up on their site, but I did hear some spent the night in jail. From what I gather they convoyed down the highway with a tanker. People saw them with weapons and the police were called. It would have been cool to see some of the cars there. A couple of Aussie Falcon coupes, and I think one or two sedans. Then whatever else people brought. Vernon Wells was there, he played in Roadwarrior. I get email from a au falcon group. Thats where I got the link from. http://www.roadwarusa.com/roadwar151/index.htm I might have gone to check out the cars, and if my falcon was here and finished.:grin:

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Was that near San Antonio, TX, or else where? I'm sure there are a few San Anotnios here and there, I know Florida has one.

Anyway, didn't hear about it.. but that's funny. What a bunch of doofs. :crazy: I wonder .. maybe they thought that hot little gal with the kinky wavey hair was onboard the tanker. I might have been in the group if she was. :D

6. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is what I got from the madmaxreplicas list:

FOX News is reporting that 11 participant in the ROADWAR 101 rally have been arrested after reports by motorists caused law enforcment to belive that "heavily armed milita members" were attempting to hijack a tractor trailer driving on the interstate.

One word of advice, if you are going to re-create a MAD MAX chase scene, advise the local police/sheriff's office. Oh and an isolated road usually helps, not the interstate LOL

Robert,

The organizer of the event did inform the public
    relations man of the San Antonio police. And, a
    uniformed policeman was actually part of the run. We
    are unclear how the police force did not know about
    this.
    Furthermore, "heavily armed" is an exaggeration. We
    had one "zip" gun (like the arrow-shooting gun from
    the movie), a crossbow, and a pick-axe.
    We never passed or came alongside the tanker. We drove
    behind it in one lane and used turn-signals.

Karol

--- ROBERT SIMPSON <> wrote:
    > FOX News is reporting that 11 participant in the
    > ROADWAR 101 rally have been arrested after reports
    > by motorists caused law enforcment to belive that
    > "heavily armed milita members" were attempting to
    > hijack a tractor trailer driving on the interstate.
    >
    > One word of advice, if you are going to re-create a
    > MAD MAX chase scene, advise the local
    > police/sheriff's office. Oh and an isolated road
    > usually helps, not the interstate LOL

Karol Bartoszynski
    Mad Max Costume Expert
    www.madmaxcostumes.com
    madmaxcostumes@yahoo.com

And this is from Chris Fenner the guy who organized the event.
    From : Christopher Fenner <>Reply-To : madmaxreplicacars2@yahoogroups.comSent : Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:00 PMTo : madmaxreplicacars2@yahoogroups.comSubject : Re: [Mad Max Replica Cars] Links on arrested 11[​IMG][​IMG]|[​IMG]|[​IMG]|[​IMG]InboxI was one "the promoter" it was more like the arranger. And the charges and media information are total bull $#!t..... Karol stated everything correct, it's just crazy how people can believe the crap they read... It was a good time and you did miss allot of great fun and Vernon wells as well as a great replica.
    And by the way to re-state "we had no Machine guns real or fake. I mean come on we are fans and can tell the difference between Water World and Mad Max LOL... while we probably were not all that accurate, we were not that inaccurate. Come on give me/us some credit. No swarming of the tanker, no guns, only prop or out right fake weapons of any kind, no speeding, no wild lane changes.... Basically just a bunch of fans dress in costumes all going to the same place down the same road. I was first in line and never got closer than 50 yards to the tanker. We even had a safety/respect brief before we rolled! Go to madmaxmovies.com and look at some of the pictures and they come out......
    This is a time to band together and plan the next event not call each other idiots and point fingers. We did things right we were set up, we were abused, we were tormented for our art by the SAPD...
    Pulse.............

Brad Coulter <> wrote:
    So come on, which of you guys got to spend the night in the lock up?

I just want to go on record here that I dont dress up in Madmax outfits:D , I just like the cars. I see enough bad madmax outfits on the SCA field:grin: (another one of my crazy hobbies).

As soon as I gather some more parts, and finish shipping my car over I will eventually have one of these.
    [​IMG]

After that, I want to get a GM Holden Monaro HQ(what the first villian drove in MM).:cool1: