Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

the WTF?? question of the day!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Feb 17, 2006.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

OK, back in september i had my battery flip over.it melted the pos cable a little and it lost a lttle fluid.no big deal, flipped it back over and thing were fine.about 2 monthes ago the alternater belt was loose and i never tightened it till 2 weeks ago.:doah: i never had a prob with starting till the last few weeks of december and that was the blower motor dragging the volt meter down and the -charge- idiot light flashing once in awhile.so i finally tighten the alt belt and go to start it and the volt meter buried and nothing else.:confused: next comes the jump start.20 minutes later i watch the volt meter rise as i turn the key,still nothing?NUTS,water was low in the battery so i filled it and tried again,nothing.the next day i buy a new battery and when i change it i see both cables are toast.so today i finally get new cables on it, turn the key and hear a click.so i wait and turn the key again,NOTHING!wait turn the key again,volt meter moves and another click.:thinking: i look to see i have lights,yes.so i try again and see a orange spark out of the corner of my eye.(sitting in the truck it came from the direction of the battery).so i get out and see no visibal signs.but now i have nothing.it ran great and started great when i drove it last,when i left the gas station that day it turned over a little slow like a hot starter,but did start.it didn't run any different???:dunno: thanks daryl

2. boggerless

no one has any idea?? ha ha

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Bad ground somewhere? Try tapping on the starter, some times the solinode can stick and do this.

4. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Blow your fusible link?

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Sometimes Ive had just terminal connections that looked fine, but needed to be cleaned. Can't say how many times I've gotten in and out of trucks wiggling cables that should by all means making a connection but don't. Have had many act like a dead battery, click like a low battery but the lights still worked (but not enough juice to engage the starter), or start to turn over and then stop and loose connection while cranking.

Your battery could just have had it too. I had a few that flew around the engine compartment, and lasted for a while despite loosing some water. But eventually died slowly.

6. boggerless

thats what my brother said.thanks brotherman.

7. boggerless

thats what i thought,but?!??i never seem to win on the easy things.but looking at the wire going to the fuseable link and it looked pretty shady.what would cause it ti blow???

8. boggerless

so you think that juction right and above the wiper motor could be bad?and do those little blocks ever go bad??:doah:

9. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

Before you get angry with me for giving constructive critism, I'll admit to doing the same things at times. There's no equal substitute for keeping track of your vehicle problems and maintenance. Sometimes small things can cause bigger problems in other areas. Bad connections have been known to pop fuses, cause wires to burn, give false information to electrical components, and a multitude of other things. I would suggest going over all your ignition wires and connections and insure all of them are clean, tight, and the insulation is not frayed or melted (headers???). If that dosen't lead you anywhere, get a multimeter and make sure you have the right voltage going to the perspective components. IE starter, alternator, batteries,ect... When you find the wrong voltage or a decrease in voltage at one component, most likely the one before it in the circuit may be the problem. Sorry for the critism but hope this helps...

James

10. boggerless

DON'T YOU EVER TALK TO ME IN THAT TONE OF VOICE!!!!:haha: :haha: i'm kidding,thanks bro.yes i should have kept a journal of what i did. but i know when to ask for help.but i do have alot of pics-before and after-.:D

11. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

HAHA I need to keep a journal, too. I always say I'm gonna track the stuff and it always starts but never followed. I'm even beginning to slip on the before and after pictures these days cause I just want to jump in and get er done.

James