Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Theft from my Blazer. Security ideas?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Steve_87K5, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I was parked at a Holiday Inn while on trip recently. Theif smashed vent window and stole my Stihl chain saw, and tools.
    I shoulda unloaded this stuff....I know. I'm thinking now,
    maybe chain the doors shut from the inside and crawl out a window (electric window, add outside switch to close)? Ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

well if they really want in they'll find a way, but a security system is a good bet with broken window sensors or door sensors. I want to get one with a pressure sensor in the front seat that triggers when the theif sits down. I'd mount the siren either under the dash or by the seat belt so it goes off right in his ear. he'll either get the message and leave with partial deafness or get a brain hemmorage(sp?) and die. either way he deserves it.

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Best deterant is to keep it out of sight, covered up. If you chain the doors shut they'll just smash windows, it'd be cheaper for you to leave your door unlocked to you don't have to pay for the window too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nothing to stop them from breaking out the other windows. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Best bet, as simple as it sounds, is to never leave valuables in view inside the truck. At LEAST cover them, but that still leaves someone questioning "what can't I see in there?".

BTW, it'd probably be far easier to chain valuables to the truck than to chain the truck shut /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it'd probably be far easier to chain valuables to the truck than to chain the truck shut

[/ QUOTE ]
    But then they would just steal the truck /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    But then they would just steal the truck

[/ QUOTE ]
    So then it's a pretty easy choice I'd think.

A)Have your valuables stolen
    B)Have your truck stolen
    C)Don't leave valuables in the truck, or at least not visible

Back when I worked near a theatre, a few months our parking lot would see around $10,000 worth of goods stolen from parked cars. It's far too easy to smash a window for some CD's (or whatever is small/worth something) sitting on a seat, throw them in your backpack, and walk off. (most common around Christmas, at night, when the goods were sitting on a seat)

Chainsaw a bit harder to sneak away with, but worth more too.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

lift it so high they cant see in /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    get a alarm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Could always try intimidation. Make the rig up like a good ol boy would...gun rack and bumper stickers to the tune of...."this truck insured under smith and wesson policy # .357" "Kill 'em all and let god sort 'em" or my personal favorite "If you value your life as much as I value this truck stay the F*CK away from it" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

acutally on 4" lift and 33's, you cant see anything lower than the dash. well, unless your taller than 5'10. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dark tint helps a lot. I use almost fully black limo tint on the sides, and will probably use mirror tint on the back at some point. I use a very very light tint on the front two windows, not dark so I cant see anything, or would get a ticket for, but something just to possibly break out the outline of anything valuable. Proximity alarm systems are pretty good for general deterrant theft.

Collar lock, cut off switch, + auto lock= make trucks extremely safe from being stolen. Not to say that someone couldnt come by with a plasma cutter and get through all of that, use a 12v battery and tap the fuel pump wires , or come by with a flat bed...

If your really serious about securing your rig (in the rear storage area) you can do what they do here in NYC for the Press Equipment suburbans....

They build a steel cage around the interior and pad lock it. Even if you get through the outer barn doors, there is still the annoying steel cage to contend with. Im sure you can use lock cutters and what not, but the common thief wont have the time, patience, or resources to deal with it.

Stickers help too, but your assuming people can read. THe shotgun racks help ( I have a double holder mounted on each side, and honestly doesnt even hold my shotguns very well, but does a darn good job of holding a shirt, hat, and my fishing rods), but I would rather people NOT be able to see into my truck period. I prefer to have the look that I might possibly LIVE in my truck. Which of course, might just scare them the most. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

There is also a lot you can do about lighting- park in an area that has light, but also has a lot of light which is directly overhead, rather than at an angle. This allows your truck to be illuminated, but not illuminated on the inside.

Some of these car alarms are quite advanced nowadays, with 1 mile range. They tell you if the proximity has been set off, if there is glass vibration, if someone popped your hood, if the engine is started, if your lights are on, if there is a weak or serious impact to your vehicle, and of course, remote start. Their reasonably priced (100-200 dollars, maybe 250 if you want the super duper siren. I've found some good deals on asianwolf.com

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

buy a lock box and bolt it to the inside.....
    put a fuel cutoff in the truck and a ignition kill switch....

so now they really gotta try hard to get into the box and they dont know what is in it... and they r gonna have fun trying to figure out how to get the truck started....

a buddy of mine replaced his hot ignition wire with a different color one... i believe green is what he used... then he ran it to a toggle switch between 4 others.... labeled it.... rear kc light.....

most thefts know what colors to look for.... second they dont expect you to label your own switches different.....

fuel cutoff is something they really dont expect.... if electric fuel pump... put another toggle switch in...

another of my friends removed his high beam wiring on the floor of a 78 chevy.... and wired that as his kill switch.. people figure that is the high beams.. never expect to press it to activate power....
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I had the fuel pump shutoff switch in my chevelle wired through the old high beam switch on the floor /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Also the ignition cylinder was broke inside, it would activate the ignition system but not crank the starter. I installed a button in place of the cigarette lighter in the ashtray. So in order to steal that car you had to know that while turning the cylinder would activate the ignition, there was a button for the starter. Then when the bowls in the carb went dry 1/2 mile down the road you had to figure out that the electric fuel pump was off, and either try to fix it in the middle of the road or ditch the car /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

My buddy's scout is wired so it doesn't need a key. you just turn the thing backwards and it fires up. Works good.