Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Theft prevention idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Mar 9, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Alarm, fuel cutoff, battery disconnect..all nice but do not keep an idiot from towing it away. I noticed that so many vehicles are stolen from "home sweet home". I had an idea to use a "bike chain". I bought some big ass chain from local hardware store and plan on chaining around d60
    and locking onto something in driveway. Best would be to install a lock point in driveway that is seated into cement. Now mine is not a dd so this makes great sense, but even with a daily driver, i am sure i would be possible to make it easy to use.

What ya think? I already bought the chain and some big locks....so go easy on the idea /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I was gonna do the same thing with a trailer I have then the tire went flat so I don't think anybody is gonna try and steal it now. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

anything you can do to make it take longer is a good idea. I've heard of them cutting chains too though.... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why not build a nice rebar rack into your driveway and weld one end of the chain to it..?

5. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

It could work as a deterent to some but I would be a little worried still as bolt cutters are a thiefs best friend. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif If they want it bad enough there is little you can do to stop em.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

For it to work, you'd have to get a chain with REAL think links. As was stated above, bolt-cutters are a standard for every thieve. If it's not your daily driver then just take off one or two of the tires...

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

yeah, the chain i got is very thick. I don't thing bolt cutters would work, even huge ones ont this. They could torch, but this is the tow-away type prevention so most likely you would "hear" the end result of trying to tow away something that is chained down /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif. Everyone on the block would hear this. All the other theft preventions do nothing to avoid the "tow away" scenario. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif . It is by anymeans not a 100% proof idea, but it does through a headache into a thief's plan.

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I bet that would work really good, of course you could just take off your steering wheel too. And hope they arent carrying a set of big vice-grips...ive seen a few farm pickups drivin around that way /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Makita makes a cordless 4" grinder and a sawzall.

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what you need it a ancor chain from a cruise ship. one of my friends has one in his garage. it is huge, i link is about 1 foot long and 6 inches wide with the bar part beeing 1.5" think or solid steel. i think each link weights about 50 lbs /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Makita makes a cordless 4" grinder and a sawzall

[/ QUOTE ]

noisy, no worry's there. this takes time and makes noise...thats all the better for us! Get out that baseball bat(gun).

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

if your going to chain it keep the chain as tight and as HIGH off the ground as you can... ever try cutting BIG chain with bolt cutters and not being able to put one in on the ground and pushing down? its HARD /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. Confedneck

transport chain..like chev4wd said, keep it taught so you cant get big bolt cutters against anything to cut the chain.. or.. you could just run the chain through your rear wheels and through the yoke at the diff. end of the driveshaft.. that would be a loud ass bang when they tried backing it up..

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Put a big upside down capital L in the concrete made out of 2" square tube, then put the outward part into your reciever hicth with a huge pin

Or not

Actually

Take the seat out, throw junk parts all over the place and have wires hanging out of the thing with the hood open and a bunch of wood all over

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

detatchable steering wheel. Grant makes new ones that have a one of a kind key'd shaft that only matches the wheel you have.

16. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    detatchable steering wheel. Grant makes new ones that have a one of a kind key'd shaft that only matches the wheel you have

[/ QUOTE ]

tow truck /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. Confedneck

a tow truck sure does make a lot of racket dragging a truck onto it when the front bumper is on the ground, just remove your front suspension when its parked..

18. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

some guy just posted a theft(pirate board) of a sweet landcruiser in san jose. check it out..stolen from front of house of course. there is video of it also. not my cup of tea, but nice 4x4 classic just the same.

19. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Take the seat out, throw junk parts all over the place and have wires hanging out of the thing with the hood open and a bunch of wood all over

[/ QUOTE ]
    you make it sound like having no seats, junk parts, wires and wood all over the place is a good thing /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif but it did give me an excuse to cut the roof off and narrow the front and rear of the rig /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif (demolition blades are the answer to all your saw-zall needs!)

20. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Now that I think of it, how would you guys keep someone fron stealing just your tires? I'd really like to keep my 39.5" boggers without having to dismount them every night. I was thinking chain but that could get old quick and is easy to cut if someone wanted to badly enough. Any suggestions?