Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Theft prevention?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Nov 20, 2004.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I'm just wondering how some of you protect your valuable wheeling rigs when they aren't in use. I am very close to being "done" with mine until next spring when I'll finish what mother nature didn't let me this year. I'm going to be wheeling in the trails near my house so I'll have my Super Swampers on instead of my stock tires. I really don't want to lose over $1,000 in tires and wheels just because I didn't take them off every night before I went to bed. How can I prevent someone from taking my stuff??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

for truck safety I like to put a switch on the coil power wire. Don't matter if they bust the ignition lock, its not going to start. As for the tires /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. TruckNutzDude

I heard something about putting power to the tach. port on the cap once. Will that work as well as cutting the power to the coil? I remember there was apost on the subject once before but I couldn't find it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

get an alarm and also rig up a kill switch and also put the club on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TruckNutzDude

I'm too poor to get an alarm... besides, my rig is mostly just a truggy right and there are no doors, rear floor or top on it. What is the best way to hook up a kill switch?

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    for truck safety I like to put a switch on the coil power wire. Don't matter if they bust the ignition lock, its not going to start. As for the tires /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the coil power wire. You better use some thick gauge wire if you wanted to do it that way, because you're going to be adding several feet in wire before it gets to your coil now= more resistance and voltage drop. no bueno.
    The negative side of your coil will go to your tach. If you disconnected it from going to your tach and grounded it out when you left, your engine will crank but have no spark.
    I was thinking about also doing a switch hidden somewhere on the rear of the vehicle so you can get out and click that switch opening the ground for your electric fuel pump.
    I also have an alarm. you can hook up a starter kill with the alarm.
    I also have a club, when i park my truck for a while somewhere unattended..
    So lets see here, 1. club 2. alarm. 3. starter kill. 4. ignition kill. 5. fuel pump kill.
    the more things you throw at those potential thiefs, the longer they'll be there for a while trying to diagnose how to get your vechicle started.. if they get it hotwired to crank, they'll have to figure out why its getting no fuel or spark... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. TruckNutzDude

Let me get this straight, I need to hook my tach. port to a negative power source for it to kill my spark? I'm going to also add a kill switch to the ground for my fuel pump (no ground, no power, right?) And the "club" will most likely be an addition once the truck is on the road again. Does anybody have anything to protect my tires and wheels??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Negative power source? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Ground? Yes. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    I've just had a club forever since i bought the truck.. nowdays i'd rather buy one of those autolocks that go around the brake pedal or clutch pedal.

Tires and wheels? Either a locking lug nut, or an alarm will sense someone jacking up your truck.. no ones gonna be wrenching on your truck trying to steal something with the alarm blaring and people staring. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Move to a better neighborhood /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I don't like alarms on the most part, they are more annoying than anything...and say your truck is parked in public somewhere, how many people these days give a rats a$$ when they hear a car alarm /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i would worry about rires on a trail rig that dosent move much.

if i were you i would get 4 leanths of stoute chain and 4 huge locks, loop the chain through your rim and around your axle.

dont cheap out on the locks, make sure there the ones that you cant cut through with bolt cutters and good 3/8th chain. no one is going to spend the time to get them all off. that and a motion sensor light next to your rig will diswade them, just remember to take them off befor you head for the trails /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. TruckNutzDude

Cable should work well for the weels since I dont have enough room for a chain between my rims and brakes.

And by negative power source I did mean ground... poor choice of words I guess but I think of ground and negative as the same thing when it comes to my rig /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Do you think it's a good idea to have a grant steering wheel disconnect or one of those column colars they sell? I was thinking one of those might be a good way to keep my semi-rare steering column from being smashed when some guy tries to jimmy my ignition. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I am in a good neighborhood btw but more and more people have been hearing about my truck and I'm getting nervous that the word might spread to the wrong kind of people. I don't mind that people think my truck is cool, but I don't need people I don't know, knowing what I have invested in it. Maybe I'm paranoid. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Wire the horn to the cab light with a switch under the fender. If the door opens the light goes on and the horn sounds. If you hear the horn grab the shovel. I also use a kill switch. Wheels/tires, I just beat them up so bad nobody would want them.

13. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

you could aways try getting those lugnuts that require a special wrench to get them out. I have a friend who got some for his american racing rims and MTRs that looked like a deep well socket with the rachet end on the stud and the 12 slotted end showing.

14. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you can get those locking lug nuts. My friends w/ ricers have them for their rims, you have ot have a key that comes with them taht you buy.

15. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

Have a round of target pratice every weekend, trust me word gets around. No one wants to be looking down the barrel of a sawed off shotgun. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

i have these special lug nuts (one per rim) that have a funky deisgn that can only be taken off with the special tool that comes with it. They suck because if you get some vice grips, you'd beable to get them off in 10 minutes or so. Also, when you lose the tool your in trouble. And sometimes the tool doesn't want to fit inside (I had that trouble /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeaah every one says use the anti theft lug it took me the same amout of time to get them off my k5 that i dident have the key for vice grips go a long way /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thell help yes but positive and OBVIOUS locking will deter more theft. they dont want to take ther time.

any number of things like kill switchs ( my idea is the little switch in your saeat belt tie into that so if your belt is off no start)

or just pull the wire from the disributer to the coil or a ball valve inb the fule line or a qwuich disconect batt cable.

i got my first pick up off my best friends grand father,
    he cuttt of the lock pulls so you hat to use a key, had a kill switch in the rear, on bad days hew screwed treble hooks( fishing tri hooks) to the stering wheel disabled the litttle vent window

AND THE BEST OF ALL the wouls screw a connie bear trap right on the door panle next to the window crank,

note: a connie bear trap consists of two spring steel loops twisted into a cercal, when set off it would snapo the back of an animal or the wrist of a theafff

you dont even have to make it reallty work as long ass it diswades them, hell put a spike in your seat something anything

ps" speell natzis: i have been drinking a bubba so leave me alone

18. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    i have these special lug nuts (one per rim) that have a funky deisgn that can only be taken off with the special tool that comes with it. They suck because if you get some vice grips, you'd beable to get them off in 10 minutes or so. Also, when you lose the tool your in trouble. And sometimes the tool doesn't want to fit inside (I had that trouble /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had the same problems with locking lug nuts as well, losing the tool sucks! One of my friends had them on his Toyota with 36" TSL's and it didn't stop his tires from being stolen... the bastards even took his locking lug nuts with his tires and wheels /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I think my deep 12" wide wheels with bulging 44" TSL's will keep most any lug wrench away from my lug nuts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If nothing else, New England will rust weld them on for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm just going to put some 3/8'ths steel cable and a heavy duty lock on each wheel and around the leaf spring or axle tube. They'll be there for a while trying to get it off. Not to mention I park my truck against another car so they'd only get two of them big'ol meats. (hopefully they don't get any though) /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

19. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

put a dog in there. before mine died we would take him place we didnt know and leave him in the car, windows down and some water. he was a rotty that was stocky as hell. scary to. wouldnt bite you but he made people think twice. after he died i got broke into and over3 grand worth of stuff was stolen. ok enough reminising

killswitches are a good idea, i also like the idea of wiring the horn to the door or the ignition to the seat belt. dont know what to tell you about tires. deflate them so people think there flat?

20. TruckNutzDude

Can't do the dog thing for several reasons. 1) I have no dog 2) there are no doors, windows, rear floor area or any kind of anything behind the front seats (frame rails are exposed) 3) I'd hate to clean up dog poopie after leaving him/her in there over-night every night while I try to sleep. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Thanks for the thought though and I'm sorry that you have had such bad luck with break in's /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif