Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Theft Prevention ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Jun 29, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey guys what do you all do to your rigs for keepin the tweekers from taken it??
    Has anyone tried the removable steering wheel made by Grant?
    If so any problems with it, week or strong mateiral?

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

2. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I have never tried it, I looked into it. My question is What do you do with the steering wheel?? I couldnt see my self walking around the stores caring a steering wheel. Maybe someday if I upgrade to a locking center console. Just wondering...

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I think the club would be enough for going into the store then at night pull the wheel. Thats what I'm thinking any way. I have heard rummors that by cutting the wheel with a hack saw a tweeker can get the club off?? Anyone ever have this happen or is it just a rummor????

4. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

yes, you can use a hack-saw, or bolt cutters. the steering wheel is designed to fail during an accident, to keep the driver relatively safe.
    if you take off the wheel, it will be obvious to someone walking by. even if you just throw it in the console, it will make the losers keep looking for an easier target. pull out the radio, and you've got a good chance at keeping your stuff.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

5. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

The club will stop the amatures but, yes you are right if they want it they can get it. I had a friend who had his camaro stolen that way. When they found the car (stipped of coarse)the steering wheel was cut and the club was on the floor. But yeah that isnt a bad idea I guess, removing the wheel at night or for long periods of time. Something else to look into I dont know how secure they are but I beleive grant also sells a locking cap that replaces the removed steering wheel. Then you could just about leave your wheel in the car with a little reassurance. If it is secure enough.

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I put a kill switch in my Blaze. Everytime I park it and go into work, party, home, or wherever, I just flip the switch, that is hidden, and leave. You cannot start the truck by any means when the switch is off. Then when it is time to start it again, just flip the switch and it cranks right up. I spliced it to the starter. I got a Tuffy console on order right now, should come within a few days. My truck been broken into and stolen a lot of goods twice already. So, with the Tuffy, things shouldn't get stolen anymore. Also, might consider putting my kill switch in there also, so noone can ever find it when its locked.
    Boss

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya thats what i'm looking at. It is a quick relase that can relase the wheel with a turn of a key and a pull of a lever thenonece the wheel is off you place a 'cap' on the push in the lever and lock the cap inplace. Grant says that the cap is "Tampper Proof"

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Fuel cut off is best method. They may get it started but a Chevy won't go far on the gass in the float bowl. They sell a keyed fuel valve in JC Whitney. Mount it in the floor next to the the seat.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Good one Grim, I'm gonna add ALL this stuff to my rig, the more bridges the tweeker has to cross the better!!
    Keep the ideas flowing [​IMG]....................

10. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Grim,

Just wondering if for that Keyed fuel valve you're talking about from JCW, if you have to have an electric fuel pump inorder for that to work? B/c obviously my old 75' Blaze aint got an electric fuel pump, and that's why I couldn't splice my kill switch to that. Just wondering though brother.
    Boss

11. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

This is making me glad I live in a small town

89 K5 Silverado

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Make friends with the tweekers and then they won't steal your k5.

Brian

13. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

for when i'm in/near my Jimmy i have an old fashoned small town secuity system: a .357 mag. and at night a big mean dog in the bushes...
    HAYDUKE

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

14. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

you've obviously never met a tweeker. they will steal from their friends, their family, everyone.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

15. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The usual tweekers usually steal cars that have the windows down, the keys inside or with the engine running. But if you have some kind of visual device the average punk will go to the next car. Also if you have a real nice rig the tweekers will do anything to steal it, even if you had battery/fuel cut-off switches, they can still tow it away. So, if they are really determined there is really nothing you can do to stop them, unless you whip out a .357 mag.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

16. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

One word, <font color=red>SHOTGUN</font color=red>

17. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

so what I need to do is a gas cut off a power cut off a remove stering wheel a shotgun mounted in the back of the seat so if you dont put on the safety you get shot in the back and take my rims off at night so they cant tow it. is that about it

[​IMG]Go prepared

18. loudandproud

<font color=purple>I think you've got it pretty well covered now. lol </font color=purple> [​IMG]

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

LOL....
    I was thinking of running a chain around the axels and chaining it to a tree or my house! Likje a big bike rack[​IMG]

20. loudandproud

That might be a problem, cuz then they'd just cut down the tree and it might fall on your truck. And that would suck too. Then if it didn't fall on your truck, you lose a tree and a truck. But hey at least you'd have <font color=red>FIRE</font color=red> wood. lol [​IMG]