Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Theft Prevention

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MuddyMudSkipper, Apr 5, 2002.

1. MuddyMudSkipper

MuddyMudSkipper Registered Member

I just bought a Grant steering wheel and I noticed that they offer a theft device that allows the driver to remove the steering wheel easily so thieves cant drive off with the blazer. Then i could lock it in a center console or something. I liked the lo-jack idea but they quoted me around $800 if I remember correctly. This Grant piece is about $150. Anybody using it or have a better idea?
    Jeff

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think 1 FN HI K5 is using one.

3. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

i know both me and 1FNHIK5 are using them. we both like them.

you can pick them up at pep boys or kragen for $99.

later, todd

4. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I used to have one on my sport truck, but I noticed that after about a year it started getting a little slack in it. Apparently it had been removed and replaced so many times that the pieces weren't matching up properly. The manufacturer wouldn't warranty it and said that I had to just buy a new one. All in all, it was a pretty good investment, but I woulnd't lock the wheel in the console. Consoles are pretty easy to break into and you may still come out to find your truck missing, or at least your wheel gone.

5. MuddyMudSkipper

MuddyMudSkipper Registered Member

Thanks guys, I think I will buy the set-up. I plan on building a console that should be pretty tough to break in to, but your right, locking the wheel in a typical console would not be too smart.
    Jeff

6. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I think the grant removal wheel is a great theft prevention.
    i have had mine 4 about 5 years no problem's.i have a pic of it click below and look in the first section Brads 1 FN HI K5
    later <font color=red> 1 FN HI K5<font color=red>

7. SnowNuts

SnowNuts Registered Member

I just thought of a winner that I might try...Has anyone else ever seen the tether system on a snowmobile? I am going to hide one under my dash &amp; have it kill the wire going to my HEI so that it will disconnect &amp; connect when the tether is off or on . If I cut it down so it isn't as long as on the sled I can have it reach my keys in the first gen Ignition while not being to much bulk in my pocket. I would however suggest a spare be kept somewhere as it is plastic. On the same note I have one hidden under the hood of my sled instead of visible on the dash so when I leave my sled I have a better chance of someone not being able to just unplug the kill plug behind the ignition &amp; riding off!

8. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

You can also do the same thing but replace the tether shut of switch with just a toggle switch then its just a flip of a switch. Faster I think.

Evan

9. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

This looked interesting. Dont know much about it...a friend just sent me the link today.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.powerlock.com/consumerfront.html>http://www.powerlock.com/consumerfront.html</a>
    Wonder if this setup will work with GM starters? The downside looks to be that they have to install it.