Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Theft Protection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Dec 19, 2006.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

In this thread http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172974&highlight=column+guard A column collar is shown, apparently from Pep Boys. I looked online and couldn't find it. We don't have Pep Boys up here so I'm at a loss. Can someone point me to a website that I can order this from, or if anyone has better products to suggest I'd like to hear about it. Thanks guys.

This is at least one company that makes them, their sites stinks, and doesn't even have contact info let alone, a list of dealers. http://www.steadfastautosecurity.com/default.htm

2. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I keep trying to search but nothing comes up... what's going on?

4. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Exactly! I couldn't find much of anything. :confused:

6. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I've sent them off an e mail to confirm, but it doesn't look like they offer a lock for a '76. They do offer '78 and up though, I wonder if there is any real difference?

*Edit* it will only work with floor mounted shifters.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  7. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

if you want hte one from pepboys you have to put the part number in, someone the link only goes to the main page. :doah: anyways here is the part number 22019

8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help I really appreciate that! :bow:

9. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

The thread you are referring to is about my 86 K5. I had originally purchased the column lock you spoke of from Pep Boys but promptly returned it when my Mother-in-Law who owns a locksmith shop gave me one from the shop. If you have any trouble locating one online let me know, maybe I can find one here and ship it to you.

10. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Here is mine. They have two choices. Remove steering wheel or the whole seat.

I used military Tech Bulletin TB 9-2300-422-20 http://www.olive-drab.com/archive/od_tb9_2300_422_20_security.pdf

1.) Drill a 27/64 inch hole in drivers seat forward bracket. Locate hole 1 1/2 inches above floor and 1 inch from front edge of bracket.

2.) Insert screw and washer in last link of chain; then in to hole with threaded area facing inboard; attach the end of chain with washer and nut then tighten. After tightening,the nut I added another and ran it down. We then took and put a weld to the nut and threads. This will prevent removal.

3.) Position chain around steering wheel spoke and secure with padlock

Parts needed
    1 screw nsn5310-00-801-5747
    1 flat washer nsn5310-00-984-7042
    2 nuts nsn5310-00-732-0559
    30 inches of chain nsn5340-00-158-3805
    1 Pad Lock Master lock 911DPF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. k2mslskier

Add one more choice to their list of 2 choices....1 set of bolt cutters. This is what they are faced with now when they look into my window....

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  12. Metrodps

I am only interested in stopping the low life looking for a quick theft. This is a 12,000 lbs chain they used a diamond impregnated saw to cut it. If a criminal wants your rig bad enough they will bring a tow truck. Think about how many times you see a car being towed. Do you ever give it much thought. Most cars stolen are for a quick ride or to steal tires rims stereo or to use in another crime.

I live right across the street from the projects and for a year now mines been just fine. :crazy: Yes what you have is a good deterrent to the GM peel the car rental places have another style too in high crime areas.

13. k2mslskier

Mine was taken in broad daylight in front of where I work. All they did was bust the passenger window and break the column. Cops found it 3 days later in the desert stripped of it's wheels, radio and a bunch of tools I had in the back. I not only added those measures but a couple of strategically placed others as well as now I park it directly in front of the office.

14. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the offer! Another CK5er has passed on a lead, if it doesn't pan out I'll definitely keep your're offer in mind. Thanks again :bow:

I actually kept that thread in some notes of truck stuff, and always mean to get around to it. It's been on my mind a lot lately, so just in case that's a message from above I figured I'd finally make a move!

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

16. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That item is useless. It doesn't cover the key switch which keeps the steering wheel locked. Once the wheel is unlocked all that's needed is to either cut the rod leading to the switch or unbolt the switch and start the vehicle.

17. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

So far none of the column locks I've seen cover the ignition. So none of these items would really prevent theft? :confused:

18. Metrodps

Most are for stopping the low life looking for a quick theft or joy ride. If a criminal wants your rig bad enough they will bring a tow truck. Think about how many times you see a car being towed. Do you ever give it much thought. Most cars stolen are for a quick ride or to steal tires rims stereo or to use in another crime.

I live right across the street from the projects and for a year now mines been just fine. The chain I have works for what I wanted. :crazy:

Yes what you have is a good deterrent to the GM peel the car rental places have another style too in high crime areas. Heck you could rig up wheel blocks like the police use as inmoblizers, kill switches, motion alarms and it all comes down to this!

If a criminal wants your rig bad enough they will bring a flatbed or a tow truck.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

tow-truck-wielding car theif has the right gear... but at some point he has to get out of his rig to attach your rig to his tow truck. About half way through the process he sees this...

[​IMG]

problem solved. Determined thieves can bypass almost any alarm, lock etc... but they will be hard pressed to do that so quietly that a dog won't hear them and then its game on.

Assuming the attempted theft happens while you are at home, a dog is, IMO, the very best car theft deterrant there is. If the fit hits the shan, open the door, let the dog out with a "go get 'em!" and then step out onto the porch with a 12ga. What happens from there is up to the bad guy... but one thing is for SURE... there ain't no one stealing your truck that night.

always loved these signs...

[​IMG]

someday when I build a shop I am going to make sure there is a good amount of distance between it and any fencing I have... I want to give my dog(s) time to take a bite out of Mr. Home Invasion's ass before he can hurdle that fence...

j

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can't see the pics just posted, but the one in post #11 covers the ignition switch, and the opposite side of the column, which is the real problem. Ignition switch method takes too much effort. :)