Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

theft safty w/ a soft top

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Confederate9, Jan 6, 2001.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i was wondering if anyone does anything special for their audio equipment with their soft top.
    i have a soft top and a sub box, and i jsut got them both and i dont want the box stolen. anyone got any ideas?
    i am considering MAJORLY the new side panels like blazinor did.
    that was an awesome idea. and thing else you guys do?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

2. 85GMCJimmy

85GMCJimmy Registered Member

put a big ass dog in the back

3. Confederate9

dont think my cocker spaniel would help much hehe

Confederate's w/ K5's!

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

you could bolt your box to your floor board through the inside of it, then take four bolts and put them on the corners facing out where your subs are weld a washer to one like an eyelet, then make a metal pices that has holes cut in the corner for the bolts to slide through then put your lock on it. make it alittle difficult to get to by thieves but hey the time wasted on trying to get it open maybe the time needed to get back to the truck.

5. Confederate9

well i came up w./ an idea. jsut thought of it today. see when i put on my soft top, i have to take out my spare tire b/c its a different top than any of the others, its custom but anyway my plan was to make a shelf typ thing.
    that goes from my rear seat back, and cover it, then on the end where the tailgate is put a flip up or down latch, jsut to keep the subs outta sight, then im not sure if i want the shelf bolted down or not, but i mean give me a chance to put stuff on top of it and under the shelf. i mean i havent had my k5 more than 1 year, and i got a soft top in november [right as is started getting cold..... ] then for xmas i got some subs, and ive been thinking of this dillema that arises, i think it will be ok.
    my last option is putting them in the qtr panels, thats my last option cause that deals w/ alot of things i have no clue about like air space for subs etc....
    anyone else tried like a "shelf" ?

Confederate's w/ K5's!

6. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Full cover insurance....notify them about the stereo.......

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I got a soft top, and I think my anti audio theft plan is working real well. when my $5 cassette deck fell out of the dash on a recent trip I started using it as a wheel chock [​IMG]
    I leave my truck unlocked with nothing of value in it. I have a remote starter switch and none of my gear shift knobs are marked. I've had someone go into my truck a few times but never stole it and there wasn't anything inside to steal. [​IMG] Not only that but at first glance it doesn't look easy to drive [​IMG]
    I'd rather they open a door and have a good look before moving on instead of wrecking my soft top. Of course it just unsnaps so locking the doors is kind of a moot point.

Rene

[​IMG]

8. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Ok I have something exactly what you care talking about. Its real simlar to Confed's idea. I have 1 soundstream spl 160 in a sealed box tucked behind the rear seat wrapping around the driver side wheel well that starts angled behind the seat and goes almost all the way to the tailgate. My 2 amps, crossover and eq are all on the back of the box. The sub is firing fwd and the amps are on the rear, so if you open the talgate, they are right there for adjustment. There is exaclty enough room on the other side of the box between the box and the spair tire for a fullsize cooler to slide in ( :) ) OK so this box doesnt come up higher than the hard top rails (its below the rear seat so when my skyler soft top is on, the box is below it almost flush. I made a "rear deck" out of a 4 x 6 mdf board that bolts thru 4 orginal hard tops holes behind the rear seat (2 on ech side) Its covered in blue vinyl adn has a trick checy gas can lib (painted in matching blue of course with a lock) on the lib to unlock, open the gas lid and slide your hand in to open the tailgate. There you go, hard top and soft top off security, with a lock and you can stand/sit on it too. It looks tough as hell and it WORKS! There is like 1 or 2 pics of it on my website. Ph yeah and its saved my ass when Ive been caught in the rain. (hmm wet seats or wet speaker, box, 2 amps, cross over + eq or wet rear deck lid) Actually the bass carries more with all the tops off when this is installed..figure that one out. sorry for the long post

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

9. Confederate9

Bone~ thats lik eexactly what i want to do.
    your idea is much better!!!!!
    so w/ that mdf board and the hard top on, would the stock bolts that bolt on the top still fit? like are they long enough? i thought of doing what u did but wasnt sure if my bolts were long enough.
    could u send me an email w/ more pics of it? i went to your web page, do u have any other info on doin it? or any othe rpics?
    email me please at Confederate9@aol.com
    thanks alot man

Confederate's w/ K5's!

10. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Ok, wont work with the hard top on... it has to go on without the soft top becuase it goes over the window and the way the back of the topper is real thick at the pillars, it wouldnt even fit. Kinda hard to explain. Mine wasnt made to fit with the hard top on. It wa made to fit on top oif the skyler soft top rails. Then i took my stock hard top bolts to the local hardware store and got longer bolts, about an inch longer or however thick the board plus the rails are so an inch was perfect. I dont have any mor epics of it. I could take a pic of the board sitting inside my house, but im not sure how much that would help. What exactly do you need ot see. I could measure it. I used the last 2 holes behind the rear seat to hold it down on the rails, im pretty sure those are the last two holes there. I dont use the bolts that mount form underneath anymore at all, hard top or soft top.

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com