Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. 70jimmy#2

70jimmy#2 Registered Member

I'm getting ready to ditch my hard top for a soft top and want to up the protect my truck from getting ripped off. I know we don't exactly have high profile vehicles as far as theft goes, but I live in Baltimore and would like some peace of mind. I have a club but would like to get some sort of ignition kill box, or something to disconnect the battery, something that can't be beaten by just opening the hood. Thanks ahead of time for any replies or input.

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Talk to your stereo shop, there are way killer alarms out there. My viper has starter kill, can lock and unlock the doors, has a pager option (if the alarm goes off it pages you).......you can also put a kill switch for the battery that is lockable, many options........the options will keep them from stealing the rig, but if you have a soft top, they can still vandalize, steal speakers, amps, etc. Maggots are everywhere, unfortunately.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

A kill switch is a quick and easy. I've got them on all my vehicles. Couple of good places to stick them are going to the starter (doesn't disconnect your bat., don't have to reset radio stations) or if you've got an elec. fuel pump you can cut the juice to it. I like the fuel pump 'cause people can crank on the thing all day long and it won't start.

I've also got a Tuffy Security Console in mine. If somebody want's what's in it they are gonna have to take the whole truck and take a torch to get in it.

Kyle
    89K5

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Some put kill switches in line with + to the coil or started switch wire.
    Keyed battery dissconects but you would need to pop the hood to turn it back to ON!
    Chain the frontend to you house or a tellie pole.[​IMG]
    I've even heard of some puting a tazer type shocking device in the seat!![​IMG] don't forget to disarm that one!!
    good luck
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Are there any storage boxes avaible for the rear? I was going to make one out of daimond plate (like the truck tool boxes) to fit the entire rear of the truck (backseat to tailgate, side to side). Has anyone done this? Where do I get diamond plate aluminum from?</font color=blue>

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Got one drawn up. Soon as I can get a MIG or find a shop that will do it decent I'll have one. Side to Side, Seat to Tailgate. Ought to offer quite a little storage space that will be pretty secure. E-mail me if you want the picture, It's a bmp drawn in AutoCAD.

7. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Saw report on Johannasburg where they are installing FLAME deterants. Yup, blowtorches flames on both sides of the vehicle if someone trys to break in.

I'm going to hook up a fuel-pump kill switch. Makes the most sense to me, and it's at the right price.

FYI: Sears even has a battery with a remote kill switch built INTO the battery. Comes with a remote and doesn't look there is any way around it since it's wired in. And there is no install other than the battery itself. Problem is it's $150 !! I spent $70 on a 1000amp battery, and don't expect to spend much more than $5 on a kill switch...

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

8. Chrome Moly

Chrome Moly Registered Member

i got a kill switch hidden in my ash tray panel. I figure if they want it bad enough they'll get it, you can only slow them down a bit with anti-theft devices.

Chrome Moly
    <font color=green>Resistance is Futile</font color=green> [​IMG]

9. GET YOU A PET RATTLESNAKE!!

I think you should invest in a pet rattlesnake !!

<font color=red>The last time I tried smokin' my tires, the mud put'em out !! BigBurb

10. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The father of a friend had a clever but stupid solution. He kept a bottle of the best scotch under the seat POISONED. He thought that when thieves were looking for something they would find it and take a sip or two. "If they take anything, I sure will take THEM as well" is what he said. Many of us told him that it was way too dangerous because an innocent person could find it and not resist the temptation, but he is just a stubborn old man. I think that's just too dangerous.

<font color=purple>////////
    Drive it like gas is </font color=purple><font color=red>$2.00/gal!!!</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

11. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I dont wanna put a cloud over anyones head, but alarms, kill switches, clubs are only deterrents to petty theives, or kids wanting to joyride. If somebody really wants your K5, they can simply put it on a flatbed tow truck and its gone, or worst case scenerio is they shoot you for it. Now I know a lot of you might not believe either of those two to be possible, but here in Cali it happens all the time. But yes, best thing is to put a kill switch, club, alarm combo. Hope this helps some people.....

12. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

ok, i'm late responding to this one, serves me right for not being wired at home.

removable steering wheels (like the cool Grant from high school) immediately take the temptation down a notch. obvious as hell, hard to work around.
    the kill switch is the shiit. all my scoots had them mounted under the tank, so it looked like i was monkeying around with the carbs.
    if you have a soft top, LEAVE NOTHING VALUABLE IN THE TRUCK. and leave your doors unlocked. my buddy has a convertible, and he swears by this. if the door is unlocked, they won't have to slice your (expensive) top to get into your steering wheel-less, empty rig.
    but you did say baltimore..........

and on a related note
    some co-workers and i are supposed to go to the driving range today, to whack a few. so i go into the garage last night to throw the clubs in the rig, AND THE F*CKING THINGS ARE GONE!
    i couldn't believe it. fothermuckers came into my garage and stole my clubs sometime in the last two weeks.
    pissed.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

That sucks Delta!!
    were you going to the driving range next to 580?
    I guess you could barow your buddys and still make the best of it!
    Later
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

14. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

yeah, las positas. i think i'm the only one that actually has clubs. or should i say had.
    the wife says don't worry, father's day is coming up. but goddamn, i coulda used something for the truck!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

15. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Re: GET YOU A PET RATTLESNAKE!!

big burb you are really turning into white knight now..........

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

16. Re: GET YOU A PET RATTLESNAKE!!

Like Father, Like Son, I guess !! We all learn from our elders and we know OldKnight is our elder !!

<font color=red>The last time I tried smokin' my tires, the mud put'em out !! BigBurb

17. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Re: GET YOU A PET RATTLESNAKE!!

Theft deterant: drive an ugly, beat up truck.
    ALSO: take your dogs with you when you go to the store and junk.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

18. Matt N.

Matt N. Registered Member

had a buddy get his toyota ripped off Monday, gone 10 minutes with the doors locked in Home Depot. They had some sort of master key, they got 4 toyotas in the parking lot, took 'em down the street 1/2 mile and took the steoro. I like the grant idea, seems foolproof unless they got a wrecker or a flatbed. Whaddaya do with the wheel when your gone? It would be real embarassing to find that they broke in and the only thing they took was the steering wheel! Cheaper than the whole rig though...

19. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

If all else fails, just take the coil wire with you when you leave your truck until you get a permanent solution. It's quick and cheap. Later.

Diesel
    Whatever it takes [​IMG]

20. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Crank your wheels tight right or left when you park it and buy one of those Grant steering wheel removal kits. They cant drive it with out a steering wheel. True a flat bed and time and yes its gone. But I have yet to see a thief with that kind of time or money to steal a blazer. Most of the thefts are just quick dash and grabs or joyriders.