Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

theory of mud ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chillywilly, Nov 13, 2002.

1. chillywilly

chillywilly Registered Member

ok just sitting here bored waitin for next springs mud runs lol.wonderin if any one had any possible improvements for my mud truck or ideas on what tires are best for boggin..tall skinny or short wide.right now im running 84 pickup 8ft bed,350/400/208.d44 12blt 3.73 gears.4inch lift with 35x16x15 boggers.any good thoughts appreciated lol. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifoops almost forgot this truck only does mud bogs now...up to 4ft pits 200 ft long /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

id get some bigger meats, ive gotten swalloed a few times with 38"s now run 39.5's am yet to go wheeling cuz truck is in the process of mods. anyway, Find a cheap 14 bolt, get a Detroit for it, if you are strictly running mud then get a 3 inch body lift, i talk to a few guys who claim the 38.5 ( i think 13 or 11.50 wide cant really remember the width) But those guys say that they are some of the best mud tires theyve ran, 4 foot pits are pretty deep, there are always 44"s but with those come along a whole nother list of mods youd need, all in all, Lock it up, Bigger tires, and cut as much weight as you can off....... more power always helps

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Depends how far you want to go. I'd say pick a tire size and your planned power and build from there. The bigger the tire the better for mud. Wide tires won't sink as fast, and taller will keep you from dragging axles. If you're sticking with 35's I'd get some chromoly axles, at least one locker, and as much power as you can afford (within reason, otherwise those 1/2 ton axles will shred).
    Want a bigger tire? then its time for the heavier axles, and thats a whole 'nother story.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Depends on the pit. If its a bog, the bigger the better. If its a race, go narrow. The pits I race in are around 1.5 to 2 feet deep. I either run a 36"x12.5" super swamper on an 8" rim or a 38.5"x11.5" bogger on an 8" rim. I have kicked the hell out of 44" and 39.5" in the races. And they do have the engine. When we do a bog its a whole 'nother story. I put on the 40" boggers and I hold my own.

One particular race I went to. I got the rules wrong and showed up with my 400sb and my 36" tires. they broke the class at 35" so they threw my in with the 36" to 44" trucks. There were 18 other vehicles in my class. All the other trucks had BB or the equal in their make. the next smallest tire was a 40. I thought I was screwed and considered bagging it except for the 80 miles I drove to get there. They lined up all the classes together and the announcer made fun of the small blazer against all of the real trucks. I took second.

I guess it depends on what kind of tracks they build for you. Thats the shits about mud racing, There is no "practice run".

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Lower gears! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The trick with mud is to turn the tires fst and shed the mud of, so you need lower gears, not too low, but maybe 4.11, and some more power, unless you have a built 350.
    The 350 is great for crawling and off road wheeling, but if you want to be serious in you mud bog, you want power, and speed.
    As for tire sizes, it depends in what class you want to be, and I think everyone here is talking about racing.
    If you are just going out to find mud holes and play then anything can work, just get a winch to get out because no matter what you do to the truck, you will always look for more till you get stuck. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. chillywilly

chillywilly Registered Member

hey thanks for the great responses guys!kinda just kickin ideas around..luv to go to big azz 40inch tires but limiting myself do to wife stress. lol right now it looks like im gonna beef the 350 some...possibly weld the front diff. cant really lighten the truck much due to class rules.somebody mentioned 3 inh body lift..will this help much in keepin out of the mud? also lookin at 38.5x11 boggers...? dunno class rules pretty basic cant cut truck much,no nitrous or injection,cant cut tires...thanks again!fn awesome site by the way best ive found /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Locking the front diff might hurt you more if its a race. Cant steer. I've seen trucks with no problems and others that get all screwy. Mine is ok (front locked) but I nearly ran over the timing lights the last race of the season cause I could not steer away from them.