Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Theory of Time

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daleearnhardt01, Oct 29, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

This is by far the dumbest assignment ever. Anyways I have to come up with my own theory of what time is. Yall got any crazy ideas. Its only got to be 1 page double spaced so I can BS most of it I guess. Throw out some ideas

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Time? Does time really exist? Or are we just a result of someone elses sick and twisted dream?

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

3 minute egg take's 3 minute's to boil, the "theory" applie's here. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Time? Does time really exist? Or are we just a result of someone elses sick and twisted dream?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif YES Sick and Twisted /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Time only exists in your mind, due to the fact that the human brain is not powerful enough to percieve all events at once. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Off topic... Time is the 4th of 10 dimensions, according to String Theory. Try to wrap you head around what the 6 that we can't percieve might be... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I think they've established now that there are something like 23 dimensions, but the last 13 of them are smaller than an atom.

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Watched a PBS show on String theory last nite /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Yea, the formula predicts something like 23 or 26 dimensions but the basic 5 validated formulas only require 6 dimensions be calculated.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I watched it too, fawkin cooked my brain... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 88Silverado

Time is sort of like a shadow which follows us around, which doesn't really do anything, except remind us of our mortality. Time doesn't really exist, outside of the moment that is.

But..Maybe time is a way to measure change. When something in the unverse changes, a new 'moment' in created, assemble a series of changes or 'moments' together, sequentially, on a line, and you have this concept we call time.

Oh God.....Make the little voices in my head stop talking /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOUR PROFESSOR?!?!?!?!

I think he or she is trying to make your BRAIN explode... Sheesh... you have some crazy assignments for papers... what class are you taking? I think I want a piece of that /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. daleearnhardt01

Get this, this paper is for Agricultural Economics. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif That makes no sense.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think they've established now that there are something like 23 dimensions, but the last 13 of them are smaller than an atom.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's 5 different versions of String Theaory right now, but the most basic one has 10 dimensions I believe. Some of them go all the way to 26, but the formula *requires* only 10. Strings are supposed to be smaller than quarks, they said that if an atom was the size of the universe then a string would be the size of 1 tree on earth. The extra dimensions are theoretically a bunch of strings intertwined, so they're tiny.

I watched that show on PBS too, it was pretty cool, I just hope I catch part 2 when it comes on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. daleearnhardt01

Well in a span of 10 minutes I wrote a page on how time is like a spinning top. At the begining of your time its fast and before you die its slow. Whatever

14. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

time is a man made way of placing a 3 dimensional world into a 2 dimensional way of thinking...whoever said "we cant percieve it" is right.

and what the hell are more than 1 person doing watching PBS? thats sad

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sorry...... I'm not into time man

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

[ QUOTE ]
    I watched that show on PBS too, it was pretty cool, I just hope I catch part 2 when it comes on.

[/ QUOTE ] I watched part 2, fried my gord more than the first one... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifIt amazes me the sh!t that people think up.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

17. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Fried you gord? What are you doing putting that in the TV anyway. Oh wait, you meant your head, whoops...... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

If you think about it, we cant really perceive existance without time. Without time (basically things occuring before or after each other)... ("before" and "after" couldnt exist without time), things would be occuring simultaneousely... youd be born and die all at once, what you did yesterday or tomorrow would be right now.
    Even the word "now" couldnt be used, because now implies there was a "then"... I think /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...

Our minds are bound by the limitations of time and the concept of time.

19. 88Silverado

I think its time for another Beer so I can get smarter by applying the Buffalo Theory and solve this time issue once and for all.

20. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Time was invented. Time exists so that people can berate you for being late, start without you, fine you penalties and interest, shut off your water. lights, cable, internet and phone wihout warning and make you pay a lot more to get it back.

Time eventually makes things fall off your body that shouldn't fall off, puts things on your body that shouldn't be there and generally makes things sag.

Time does not heal all wounds, but will heal some. Time is a great equalizer. Kids are brilliant at age 16. There is nothing they don't know. Over time, they get stupider and stupider, until at age 45 they are retarded and equal in intelligence to their parents, who, at the same time, are getting smarter and smarter from a baseline of retardation when the kid was 16. At some point, the kid and parents reach intelligence equilibrium. Time is actually good for some things.

Time gives you something to remember, and then over time, rigs it so you don't remember anything. Time exists to create nationwide confusion over falling back and springing forward for no apparent reason.

Time is constructed so there's never enough of it to finish the current project on your truck, but so much of it you want to shoot yourself in the head during the most boring evening of your life that seems to never end.

In summary, Time is a pretty decent universal practical joke.