Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

there comes a time when you have to drop the brand loyalty......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddysub, Oct 14, 2004.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

there comes atime when you have to drop the brand loyalty...... and go with what works.
    since my operationally challenged suburban is not exactly feeding my need for wheelin. tomorrow my friend and i are going to look at and most likely buy an 81 toyota 4x4 pickup. it already has a cage from the cab to the front bumper, 4" springs and its been rolled once but the drivetrain is fine. we're gonna cut the front end out and build a flatbed for it (mot likely allprooffroad.com's flatbed kit) and build sliders and ditch the doors and beat the f**k out of it. it needs tires which wont be a big problem, ive got an F-350 and a flatbed trailer to get it home with. the big decision of the moment is what color are we gonna spray it? im thinking either flat black, grey or tan.

so i just thought id let yall kno wat im upto, im not a trader the sub will drive once again by the end of november.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

YAY TOYOTAS !

Flat black BTW

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What happened to the sub?

4. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I totally agree with you. I also bought a 93 toyota x-cab 4x4 for a daily driver. Its hard to beat a toyota for the reliability and mpg. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I am a BIG fan of Yota's. I have an 82 longbed 4x4 that my Grandpa bought brand new back then. Except for a 3" lift and 31" BFG's, it's all stock. I have gotten into and out of some STUPID places with it and have always been impressed with it's ability. I blew the motor up a couple of years ago, and it's been sitting in my driveway since. The salt air here is starting to rot the body out, which sucks, but one day (after the K5 is where I want it), I will ressurrect it and prolly build some sort of hardcore wheeler out of it.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Cool, 79-83 Toyotas are sweet machines. I miss mine, BAD. I had an old 83 longbed, pretty much stock on 32's, and it went places it had absolutely no right being. It impressed pretty much everyone that i have wheeled with. keep that carb cleaned and the truck will run on its side /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

As for paint, i think you should to farm and fleet and pick up some Kubota Orange. Rediculously bright, easy to touch up, and is cheap.

7. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

While up on the Rubicon Trail; I saw many Toyota trucks that were awesome! They were actually wheeling just as good if not better than most of the other vehicles! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. muddysub

well i bought it for $850 today! its an 81 yellow shortbed 4x4 with 4" springs and 33s on it already. it has a bolt in cage in it wich seems to be strong enough cuz its been rolled once already. they bondoes up the roodf and painted it again and it actually looks really straight on the outside. its got a tube bumper that is welded right to the frame and comes back to the tranny almost so the engine is protected. and its strong! im goin to pick it up sunday, one of the tires is shot and wont hold air so i cant drive it home. overall im impressed with the truck, and im happy i bought it. my family on the other hand, theyr not thrilled about it but oh well.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If you really look closely at a YOTA they are well built. Just about everything is greasable underneath. Axle strength is legendary for that size vehicle. Good machines.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I've beaten on my 84 pretty hard and the PO rolled it b4 me. Still going strong. The engine finally gave up at a ridiculously low 190k. My last outing with it was the first time in 6 years of ownership that it did not get me home.

From long time observation on the ORC yota list, the point where the weak link, the Birf's, start to let go is at low axle or t/c gearing combined with tires equal to or larger than 33-12.50's. If you have that combo or more then only apply power when pointed straight. Also helps to turn the steering limits in a bit. If it's been wheeled by a quasimoto-type they probably turned them out too far.

11. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    there comes atime when you have to drop the brand loyalty...... and go with what works.
    since my operationally challenged suburban is not exactly feeding my need for wheelin. tomorrow my friend and i are going to look at and most likely buy an 81 toyota 4x4 pickup. it already has a cage from the cab to the front bumper, 4" springs and its been rolled once but the drivetrain is fine. we're gonna cut the front end out and build a flatbed for it (mot likely allprooffroad.com's flatbed kit) and build sliders and ditch the doors and beat the f**k out of it. it needs tires which wont be a big problem, ive got an F-350 and a flatbed trailer to get it home with. the big decision of the moment is what color are we gonna spray it? im thinking either flat black, grey or tan.

so i just thought id let yall kno wat im upto, im not a trader the sub will drive once again by the end of november.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be trator, not trader. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That would be traitor, not trader. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed it.

13. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

*SMACK!*

my friend has a 98 (?) tacoma, and we went wheelin in it last night. i would have broken something for sure, but that yota took it and asked for more. ya cant kill those things /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. muddysub

yeah i brought it home today, it needs tires. one of them is destroyed. but it starts right upand moves just fine. i have no idea how many miles are on it and i dont really care, ill get pics up asap, im gonna start "trimming" later this week, i wanna bob the bed cut the fronts out and make half doors. i gotta go get my buddy's welder soon.

anyone wanna give me a 33x12.50-15 all terrain of some kind?