Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"There Ought to be a Law"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Jul 5, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pa. Lawmaker Eyes Boy's Dog Seat Belt Idea

Tue Jul 5, 7:17 PM ET

GREEN TREE, Pa. - A state lawmaker is pushing for doggy seat belts on the advice of an 11-year-old constituent. Marc McCann of Green Tree came up with the idea as part of state Rep. Tom Stevenson's annual "There Ought to be a Law" contest.

Stevenson, R-Pa., submitted a bill to the House Transportation Committee in June that would require drivers to keep their dogs' heads inside the vehicle at all times. Stevenson also wants to require drivers to restrain the animals, either with some kind of modified seat belt or in a crate or carrier box.

"I never did like dogs sticking their heads out the window," said McCann, one of more than 500 students from his legislative district who proposed laws. "Maybe a sign might have been too close to the road and they'd get hit. Maybe they'd jump out the window on a highway."

Stevenson said the bill will protect "not only human lives, but pet lives. I think it's going to be a great idea because it's going to cut down on driver distractions."

Information from: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeah right, just try too strap in some dogs and you'll give up that idea with a quickness.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what i hate is the damn people who drive with a damn dog in there lap :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Yep.. I can see the validity in strapping down the little yappy dogs, so they don't become projectiles in a wreck.. or jump out.. or get lodged under the brake pedal.. but that should be up to the owners, not mandated by the state. If the dog causes or is injured in a wreck, that's the owners fault, and they are responsible.

My dog is too damn big to sit up in the seat all strapped in. He's a dane - lab mix, and he rides around all streched out on the floor. Needless to say, he likes his mommy's durango more than her camaro for his chauffered trips. Having said that, my dog is actually trained and will lay the *@#^^* down when I tell him to.

This is sorta like gun control, where I ( and my dog ) have to suffer because of the stupidity and laziness of others.

Tom

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That normally comes with the rest of the great things to do while you drive group - a cell phone, very hot coffee in an open cup, lipstick, a vanity mirror, some sort of food and a complete disregard for the fact that the car is going 6 MPH on the interstate. :doah:

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Requiring stuff like this is crap. There are enough stupid laws on the books already and they are having a "There ought to be a law" contest?!?! WTF IS THAT!?!?!? I saw we abolish the legislative branch of government, we dont need it anymore. They waste alot of tax money on stupid **** and are a bunch of pantywaste fags anyway.

BTW my mom has this strap that latches into the seatbelt clip and hooks to the dogs collar. Its adjustable from 12-18" long and works real well on her 75 pound lab.

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Years ago, I tied my big Airdale/Husky mix to the rollbar of the K-10. Worked great in that he could access the cab or he could stand on the bed railing. I always used that after I was cut off one day, hit the brakes hard and he (unrestrained) slammed into the windshield hard enough to bust it and hurt his head. He also jumped out while the truck was going about 40 mph, once. I've restrained my dogs since. I used an old retractable seatbelt bolted to the roll bar in the K-5 now. Works great. Don't need no stinking law though. F#$k that!!!

I'll post a photo of my "doggie seatbelt" soon as my new laptop arrives. The wife's laptop I'm using now is teetering on the brink of self destruction as it is, without loading a card reader or another USB driver.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yup!--too many rules--too little ENFORCEMENT!

I agree they make up too many stupid laws as it is!--maybe they should have a "There ought to be a law against stupid laws" contest...

Reminds me of Hank' Jr's song "The Coalition To Ban Coalitions"... :rolleyes:

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

There ought to be a law.... no no there shouldn't, there should be common sense and personal responsibility