Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Theres a certain way to put the pinion nut back on?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silver84k5, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

when i replaced my rear yoke, i just took the nut off tap the yoke off put new one on and tightened the nut back on.... Did i do this incorrect?

2. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

the idea is to put it back on with the same amount of torque that it had before.. if you got it close, you'll probably be ok.. hope you loctite'd it

mike

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I took my pinion yoke off without realizing that the pinion nut torque is very important. If it's too loose or too tight, bad things can happen.
    But I had already done it and needed to get it back together, so I just eyeballed it. Hasn't died yet and I don't hear any whine. Time will tell.
    Hey, that would e the perfect exscuse for 4.88 or 4.56 gears - gotta get new gears ANYWAY.
    -- Mike

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i just tightened it till i couldnt tighten anymore, i think i put it on tighter then it originally was, no i didnt use loctite, and sometimes when i press the gas hard from a dead stop, it almost feels like my tires are somewhat spinning, but its a different feeling ya know? it seems like something is kinda slipping, oh well new axle soon anyway,