Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

There's a job in the paper should I apply for it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Apr 2, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

There\'s a job in the paper should I apply for it?

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Its working at the Sheriffs station as a corrections officer /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyone? What kind of stuff is done in this position? Its been in the paper for a week now.

I'd rather work in the gun rack /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

Re: There\'s a job in the paper should I apply for it?

"What kind of stuff is done in this position?"

from watching discovery channel
    its playing mommy to gangbangers, getting spit on and verbally abused, and if they step out of line you get to beat them

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

you get to hit people with clubs if they piss you off. Id go for it

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I'ld hold out for a management position. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I figure, why put yourself in jail by choice when everyone else has been put there by a judge?

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Screw that noise. You're stuck with the yahoos for how ever long the shifts are. That's why I like my job, I can leave when I darn well feel like it.

On the other hand, theory, and it's one that holds a lot of water is that working in jail prepares one for working the street in the people skill department. Also, I know one deputy and I'm sure there are more like him, that started off in the jail and ended up learning a second language from the inmates, so he has no worries about needing someone to translate Spanish for him now.

6. jjlaughner

yeah the biggest thing I'd be worried about is in the last couple years the spanish speaking crowd has probley doubled the population of our little town. And ALL of them act like they can't speak english, till a rock flies out the mower and breaks their car window /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif, then they can speak PERFECT english /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I guess a lot of people look at the paycheck, some look at the training. I think it's a personality thing. I used to work with a bunch of people who told me one day they wanted to work for CA Dept. of Corrections. I asked them why, of course they said because of the money, but these people couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper sack.

I was on a tour of Corcoran prison one time, and the officer giving us to the tour asked us why we wanted to become cops. He liked his job because he knew what to expect day after day after day, whereas we venture out into the great unknown and someday we may just run into the four baddest mothers on the planet and they will leave us for dead. In jail, you will already know who's who and can deal with it right then and there.

I suggest you talk to a few people, I know chevyracing on here is a correctional officer, and there's a couple over on Pirate, talk to them what it's like. See if you can take a tour of the jail or a local facility. See how you like being enclosed with the inmates. I personally hate it, I have clausterphobia as is and can't stand being around a bunch of people all damn day long.

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It's in the paper every week because they have a very high turn over rate, people get tired of dealing with the crap.

I'd find something else.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    It's in the paper every week because they have a very high turn over rate, people get tired of dealing with the crap.

I'd find something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't knock it unless you've tried it or had a little taste of it. I've got a buddy I served with who went through the police academy after he got out, ended up going with corrections and he is getting ready to hit 10 years of service in a couple of years. There are those personalities out there that are perfect for whatever job and maybe our own Mr. Laughner may have found his calling.

Take a look at me. I've tried a few things since I've been out of the Army. I always knew where I wanted to end up though. I may be a pretty good writer, but I can't deal with deadlines cause it forces my creativity.

I've got pretty good people skills and had a detective once tell me that I would make a great child crimes investigator, yet mentally I would never be able to deal with it. I'm better suited to be out here in the sticks, bouncing around patrolling.

With corrections, one's got to have people skills. It's never going to be a situation where you can win everyone over. Heck, we've got three inmates that don't like me. I dealt with them the same way I deal with all the other inmates, yet these are the dirtbags of society who have absolutely no respect for anyone including themselves. Those are the ones a correctional officer has to watch. But with all the other inmates I've had to transport so far, I've been able to earn their respect, and they have earn mine and I did it all with people skills.

It's all about treating them the way you want to be treated. Yeah, you may not like them because they are some methhead skank and stole from a 90 year old grandmother, but if you treat them like a person, most of them will not give you any trouble. But you always have to watch your back..........

10. jjlaughner

Yeah I'm not one much for taking crap I'd probley smack someone up side the head so its probley not for me. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I applied for a bunch of office jobs tonight /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif