Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

There's a LOT of difference between 3" and 4" backspacing!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Aug 11, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

There\'s a LOT of difference between 3\" and 4\" backspacing!

Just bought new 35" MTRs on 15x8 steel rims to replace my 36" Mickeys on 15x10s. I had bought the new ones from 4WPW in the 2.75" backspacing variety, but when they got here they were 4.25" bs. So I'm thinking great, it'll tuck them under even more, just what I was wanting in the first place! Happily, I change the back tires complete with the chrome centers and nuts...yahoo, the buldge is right even with the bodyline. Perfect. Go up to the front and the tire hits the caliper. Crap. Measure the old rims. 3" backspacing. Ut-oh...so for a week I drive the truck like that with the sweet tires in back and the wide arse mickeys up front. Nice hoopty! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I get over to Dan's house last night thinking I could grind a couple ears off the backing plate and be all good. 3 hours later, I had created a shoulder in each caliper and ground down maybe 1/2" of meat off caliper and backing plate to meet this shoulder halfway through. I shaved the top part off the retaining clip as well as trimming down the spring. I finally got them to fit, but I can say I think any deeper offset and I'd have been screwed. They do tuck nicely under the fenders and ride sooo much better. Less truck lean, less noise. I'm pretty happy with them that's for sure. Did wheel bearings too, and replaced bearings and races on the left side. I'm happy with the way my new DD is shaping up and just thought I'd share. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Re: There\'s a LOT of difference between 3\" and 4\" backspacing!

Do you have any issues now with contact with the frame rails or anything like that on full turn? That was a concern of mine with the 15/42s if I went with too much backspacing.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

no i dont have any contact. However, these are only 35x12.50 on 15x8 rims. I am about 1/2" from the steering rod on the crossover.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, I've got 4.25-inch backspacing on my 15x10 Cragar steel wheels and didn't have to remove hardly any metal from the calipers. The caliper brackets were the cause of most of my interference. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif But indeed, I do like the way it keeps my 35-inch BFG Muds tucked up under the fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But this was on an 8-lug Dana 44. I think a 60 needs a lot more work.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah the D60 caliper does take quite a bit more grinding. I found out I have 3 rims with 3 1/2" B.S. and one that is 4" when I ground mine. Ground one side and took some mental notes once it was done. Scored the other side exactly as far inboard as the first and ground a ton off...then tried to fit the rim. It wasn't even close. I kept grinding and finally thought to double check the B.S. on both fronts...sure enough i have one that is 1/2" deeper/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You and Dan are doing my D60 too! Mine are 4 1/4 BS as well...my old ones were 4 1/8" and it was an 8 lug 10 bolt front and it took me three hours of grinding. I can't imagine how bad the '60 will be.

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

It friggin SUCKED... At just about 9 something at night... and something like 3 hours behind you already... makes a guy wish he could just drive a friggin Yugo. Well... not really... but you get the idea! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

End of story though... the new wheels look great on Bryan's truck, and really improved handling too! Now we need to get the rear springs replaced, and yank the 3" body lift outta there, and he'll be happier than a pig in... well you know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

But the question is, when are you doing mine? And which one of you guys is big enough to help me wrestle that behemoth of an axle under my truck?

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[cough]i think somebody wrote a tech article on this [/cough] It's Somewhere around here /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Grr....I promised myself I wouldn't renew my membership until my truck ran...grrrrr.........

11. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    [cough]i think somebody wrote a tech article on this [/cough] It's Somewhere around here /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem being... that write up you did was on (what appears to be) a Dana 44... not a 60. I wish my damn camera was charged... Id run out there and take a few pics. Let me tell you this... the GROOVE in the caliper in its deepest place is probably 3/8"+ deep! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Thanks for the pointer though! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'll bring a camera over wednesday....it's rough how deep that shoulder is....

And Tim, that would be Dan, he's the HOSS of our twosome. Yall two have fun!!! Personally my hand is still stinging from holding the grinder for 3 hours!

13. KRAZIE87K5

Bryan... would you be so kind as to define "HOSS"???

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

sure. HOSS = BIG OL BOY.

Now get your panties unwadded. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bad Dog not only did a write up on D60 caliper grinding but took some great pic's.

http://www.coloradok5.com/d60calipergrind.shtml

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

thanks for saving me the time. Mine aren't that purty, but they work....

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    And Tim, that would be Dan, he's the HOSS of our twosome. Yall two have fun!!! Personally my hand is still stinging from holding the grinder for 3 hours!

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect! I bet it'll be NUMB when you're done with mine. See, I'm just helping you out.

Dan's wife is complaining about truck stuff. That's never good...that's when it's break time.

18. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Hey Bryan
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif My 16.5's fit just fine (read NO GRINDING). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    My 16.5's fit just fine (read NO GRINDING).

[/ QUOTE ]
    I sure hope you have some good bead locks! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I got rid of my 16.5's because the tires would literally fall off the wheels at 18 PSI. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I sure hope you have some good bead locks! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I got rid of my 16.5's because the tires would literally fall off the wheels at 18 PSI. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad to see at least one other person agrees with me. My friend lost a 38" Swamper at 25 psi in deep mud!