Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

There's nothing like NOS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Nov 27, 2006.

1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I know alot here won't agree, but certain things I wanted during my 8 year build,now that its nearing the end. I scoured the country for NOS 1973-74 K5 Blazer Emblems. I have 2 sets, but they are both pitted bad, ones been painted over, other is in need of serious reconditioning.
    So I finally found 2 of them at L.E.S Auto parts. Only 2 he had, and only 2 I could find in the entire country, NOS that is. They don't have a website, they advertise in the back of Hemmings and other similiar publications.
    Ahh...the sweet smell of NOS

[​IMG]

I know, I've lost it. :screwy: But it does give the truck that added something.....

Several years ago I found a NOS "Chrome" Grille, proper for 73-74 Chevy's. No one makes a repro of the 73-74 grille. I've seen the gray ones before, but the chrome NOS one was a find, came up on eBay...

[​IMG]

2. TheAustrian

TheAustrian 1/2 ton status

NOS is far better then repro's...but usually they do same for far less price.

Btw. what kind of paint job is this on your K5? Is that something like a bed liner?

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sweet, I agree with the NOS proverb, I just dont like the price.

4. 73k5blazer

Line-X (yes a bedliner). It's sprayed on hot and mixed at the nozzle. Dries harder than herculiner or Rhino-line.
    Inside and out completly coated.
    BTW, it's an all fiberglass body.

See this thread here:

5. 73k5blazer

In this case, there was no choice, neither the 73-74 emblems or the 73-74 Grille are made by any repro places.

6. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Mind if I ask the price? I picked up a set of NOS round aluminum mirrors for my '63 VW bus. Took two months before they were found in Japan! Cost...$400 !

7. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Hey I was wondering, is your truck going to be out on the trail? I think about your truck all the time, (does that sound a little ghey?) and I love the idea, but what about body damage? Do you think that will be a big concern?

8. 73k5blazer

The emblems were $65each, the Grille I paid $189 for. I think I got a steal on the grille.

I need to finish it first. It's getting very close. It will be out there though. I'm pretty much done wiring, and I need to finish the bumpers yet, a little fab going on the front brush guard, then it's engine time. I hoping next summer for completion, but I hate giving myself a deadline, then I might cut corners..
    Am I concerned with body damage? Well, kinda. But I'm not the rock crawling type, I like trails, that go places. I don't just like to go 1mph over rocks to get someplace I could have walked to 10 times faster. Midwest here is a little short on rocks anyway, trails and mud type stuff. I plan to use the vehicle for general hunting, fun trail use, camping, towing snomobiles...etc. No radical stuff, so I'm not really worried about body damage. The glass is tough, you could push on the bedside of the truck sideways on pavment with another truck and the body won't budge.
    How do I know? My wife back into it with the '97K2500 when I had pushed the K5 into the driveway for a bit while I was hosing out the garage. Truck was moved 3' sideways.

Only time will tell though.

9. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

That's cool. Sounds like the kind of off roading I do too. Sounds like the glass is stronger than I would have thought. I definitely see myself doing this down the road. I noticed you mentioned the cost has gone up a lot since you bought it though...that sucks.

Never oil spray again!

10. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I thought this was going to be about naaawwwwzzzz. :crazy:

I try to go with NOS whenever possible. Better fit and finish typically. That glass body'd truck will be sweet. Rack it up, a little resin and you're good to go again!

11. 73k5blazer

It jumped WAAAAAY up again. $7500 for the glass tub now. :eek: I paid $4000. I don't think I'd do it for $7500, that's just too much.

12. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Yeah that's getting cost restrictive. I wonder why it's so much. There is a local guy making Hummer look-a-likes for a shortened Burb frame complete for 10 000 CAN. And they are custom! I'd think that would be way more expensive.

13. TheAustrian

TheAustrian 1/2 ton status

the line-x looks great on the outside, but how about cleaning? Isn't it a bit difficult to get dirt off the body with a bed liner on?

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I saw NOS in the title, and was about to verbally assault you, but it turned out ok:)

15. 73k5blazer

High pressure spray wash takes everything off no problems, looks like it just came back from the Line-X place after a pressure wash.. And no need to wax! I just need one of those pressure washers at home. We're looking to move, new place will have a pole barn, and I will most assuredly have a pressure washer in there.