Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thermal switch for electric fan??? Round looking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Dec 14, 2002.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Got my fan and wondering which switch Thermostat to go with
    The cheaper 20.00 set up has a thermal switch pre set and it looks "round" the more expensive set up has a probe that goes in the fins on the radiator and is adjustable, so I'm wondering who runs the round style, looks like the size of a half dollar on the summit web site, /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif where does this round thing go? THX

2. twenty_below0

Somebody??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I don't like the ones that poke into the rad. Seams kinda geto to me. You can go to the parts store and get a switch ment for just about any fwd car (without a computer) and put it on a "T" off of the temp sender port in the intake.

4. chillywilly

chillywilly Registered Member

Im using an adjustable swith from vip. Twenty bucks i think ,been using it for 3 yrs now.Got it wired to control relays got dual fans from ford windstar. Nice to be able to adjust for diferent situations. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. twenty_below0

Dont you want the temp reading coming from the radiator so it makes the H2o temp go down for the opening of the thermostat? I could be completely wrong......been known to happen /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

IIRC when they tell you to "stick it in the fins" of the rad. it goes as close to the top (inlet) hose. The temp would not be that different from the intake temp after the t-stat is open. The normal temp is like on at 220 and off at 200 so the t-stat should have opened up long before that. If you use a stock temp t-stat use a stock switch. If you have a lower temp t-stat you could get a lower temp switch from summit.