Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thermostat

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by no1uknow, Dec 31, 2004.

1. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

I just changed out my thermostat on my 454 I did as best I could with what I had. It was leaking slowly but the thermostat itself works I just changed it a couple of months ago. So what I did was just pull it out put more silicone on it and that's it. I didn't have any sandpaper or anything to scrape the surface so I did my best with a screwdriver. My question is if I let it dry for around 2 hours will it hold up for today? I am not gonna take it wheelin just going to an off road race then fishing. what do you think? I plan on changing everything out tomorrow.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sometimes theyre a bitch and like to seep even with a gasket so thats when i take RTV and coat both sides of gasket and let sit for a bit, then its all good

must be a warpage issue with the thermostat housings

try another housing if you have any laying around

2 hours is way more than plenty

good luck

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

silicone will not dry unless it has air.... rtv with silicone will... make sure you are using the right kind...
    fel pro just came out with a trick self sealing re usable gasket for this problem... its VERY expensive (14.00)... but cures it once and for all...
    if you housing isnt flat it will leak ....
    fix it the right way one time... the wrong way many times
    boy have I learned this a time or two

cam

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

check your housing

take a peice of 80-120 grit sand paper and set on flat surface like a pain of glass or thick plate steal . set housing on paper do a fig8 pattern a few times and check gasket surface for sand marks repeat till all areas are scuffed .then its flat take a file to intake with same idea of checking to see if flat. i use just a gasket comletly dry and if needbe permatex tack and seal little white bottel red STICKKY STINGY stuff 5-7 dollers best stuff . have seen rtv get in tstat and hold it open or get in pump and cause problems.:D

5. no1uknow

no1uknow 1/2 ton status

What is RTV?

6. flamin_browneye

flamin_browneye Registered Member

RTV is a black high temp silicone that you can get at napa. I think.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What about a gasket and Indian Head? That's what I always use, it never leaks.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Nothing beats the Indian Head!

Indian Head Gasket Shellac!!--the gaurenteed cure for leaky thermostat housings,and about anything else that leaks--I've even used it to seal the stripped threads in a Q-jet gas filter "nut",and it was the only stuff gas wouldnt wash away after a while,-but be warned the stuff is VERY difficult to remove once it hardens--I had to use a hammer and chisel to chop the remains of an upper radiator hose off one of my thermostat housings,after I "glued" it on with Indian Head!..

I guess chevies always leak at the thermostat mostly because the aluminum housing and the iron manifiold expand and contract at different rates--that doesnt help explain why they leak on an aluminum manifiold though!--they sell fancy housings made of billet,with an O-ring that works well--but dont lose that O-ring on a sunday--you wont usually find them until monday at a speed shop--unless the stores in your area are better stocked than here....I found an old housing made of cast iron for my 86 305(the van one the motor came from was different,wouldnt work)--so far,no leaks--the iron ones seem to resist warping and leaking better--and dont crack as easy as aluminum ones...:crazy: