Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thermostat

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Drey, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

What would be better for cooling my 6.2 Turbo GMC down a 195 Degree like i have right now or would a 165 degree be better?
    Any Pros and Cons of both would be great, thanks guys

2. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I use the 165 in the summer time and the 195 in the winter. I don't if this the corrct way to do it, but it works for me.

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Iowa Julys are pretty hot, and Just driving around I hit 220 if my guage isnt off, I dont plan on doing much winter driving with it so ill prolly just throw in a 165 and call it done

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Throwing in a lower temp thermostat is just a way of covering up cooling system problems. You may have a plugged up radiator, a bad fan clutch, or countless other problems. If GM put 195 degree thermostats in from the factory, they did it for a reason, to help the engine burn fuel more efficiently. If your having overheating problems, find the primary cause of it, dont just throw a different thermostat in there.

5. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

My fan clutch is good I have already checked that. Im pretty sure my Radiator isnt clogged, I plan on flushing it next weekend if I get a day off from work. My old C10 always ran about 190-200. My K10 runs around 220 very consistantly, hasnt gone above it, I think the reason for it is due to the fact this more has a Turbo Charger and the other didnt.

6. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Make sure your guage is accurate first of all. Second, the turbo itself wont make an engine run hotter, unless you are constantly under load and using more fuel along with the extra air the turbo forces in. See what flushing the radiator does and give the radiator a good powerwashing, you might be suprised how much stuff is stuck in there if you do any kind of offroading.