Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thermostats....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Reading someone elses post got me thinkin about this. My radiator is a big ass 4 core from a diesel truck. Hehe, I couldn't believe how much anit-freeze/water it held. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif The fan is a stock clutch fan setup. Fan shroud installed. Anyways, I can let the truck idle for an hour or more, and the temp gauge barely moves further than the first mark. After 30 minutes of my heavy foot, same story. No numbers on the gauge so I have no idea how hot that is. The radiator is warm to the touch and I can grab and hold onto the hoses...Does this sound right? Is the big ass radiator just keeping it that cool? Or maybe t-stat stuck open? Of course, it could be the sending unit...Hmmm.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that sounds about right but if you think the thermostat could be bad just go buy a new one for under $5 and put it in. then you know for sure /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Yeah, I woulda done that regardless. I just don't like stuff that seems to good to be true. lol, gotta remember, this is the first time in more than a year and half that this truck has moved under it's own power. Still trying to figure out whats normal and whats not after the "change" to truggy status. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I would bet you have a bad thermostat - get it replaced.

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

buy a gage that has numbers on it, its not worth not knowing