Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

these fumes are killing me...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Sep 11, 2002.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

hey guys, i need some help cuz i can barely stand to drive my truck anymore... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

i've got major fumes, and just now i noticed that it ain't just exhaust fumes - it was smelling like pure gasoline in my truck. i can smell the gas smell quite strong around the rear outside and inside the truck.

any advice? has this happened to anyone?

thanks a lot,
    alex

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had a problem with the carb's float level once, and it was spewing gas into the air cleaner, which made a pretty strong smell.

Your just going to have to check all the fuel lines, tank and the carb to see where the smell is coming from.

3. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

the smell is strongest around the filler side of the gas tank. i did just fill the truck up a few days ago, but the fumes are there even when it's pretty empty (though maybe not as strong).

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

There are rubber hoses -- at least my '74 and '77 have them -- from the filler pipe to the gas tank, and they leak pretty bad on my '74. It's how I know it's full; there's a puddle of gas on the ground underneath...

-- A

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

just stick a lit Zippo in the areas you suspect /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i'm not seeing any leakage though...? but it stinks so bad i literally can't drive it anymore (luckily, i got a trusty ole' camry (4x4 12" lift, of course /forums/images/icons/grin.gif )).

i guess i'll have to take the gas tank out and look at the connections?

any other suggestions?? (besides the zippo idea (i'll try that tomorrow, when it's light outside))

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

You better be kidding about the Camry.

Taking the gas tank off seems like a buttload of work. I'd roll under the passenger rear side and look up there, see if the rubber's rotted.

And look up front round the fuel pump. You've got the mechanical pump up on the front, passenger side of the motor.

-- A