Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

They dont make them like they used to.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Corey 78K5, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

We took my Wifes car (2000 Pontiac Grand Am) to the dealer on tuesday to have it checked out. Had a few problems like the steering was squeaking /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif the radio was fawking up /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif the turn signals quit working /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and then just this weekend the motor started ticking with only 62,000 miles /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Well luckly I bought an extended warenty. Anyways the guy at the shop calls up yesterday and says that the POS needs a new motor and that the cylinder walls were scored, WTF. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I was thinking a bad lifter or something. I always keep the oil changed and it never has gotten black. Right now I want to get rid of the POS and I'm not very satisfied with the quality of GM cars as of late. I'm thinking its time to try another make and I dont mean foreign cars either.
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I work with a girl who has a 2000 Grand Prix GTP. She has modified it and now drag races it as well as uses it as a daily driver. The got a new pulley to increase boost, an intake and exhaust mods, tranny cooler and shift kit, wheels and racing tires, it's lowered, a new chip and a bunch of other stuff. She's running low 14's in it now. She's got plans to do more to it, but she's had no problems with it whatsoever. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I know I was a bit off topic, but I really like her car.

3. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

My favorites have always been GM trucks and Dodge cars. Go get ya' an Intrepid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If the motor is covered under the warenty, I'd keep it for a couple more months while you look around for something she likes. Do alittle research on what's lasting now a days. I'm not a fan of imports either, but Toyota's have always held up pretty good for everyone I know that's had one.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

According to consumer reports, the Maxima is the best deal all around. I don't like import either, but they seem to last forever. The bad thing is when they go...they're gone. Engineered obsolesence. Auto dealers to it on purpose. If they built them like they used to, we'd all still be driving the Bel Aires and Impalas with big blocks and lotsa head and leg room! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Go get ya' an Intrepid

[/ QUOTE ]
    No way. Like I said no foreign cars. As far as I'm concerned Dodge is foreign since they are German owned. Same goes for Toyotas and Nissans and Hondas. I prefer to buy American. We got a Ford Focus for a rental since the same guy that owns the Pontiac Dealer also owns the local Ford dealer. Anyways The Focus just seams to be built a little better. It's more comfortable and a lot more quiet. It not as powerfull as the Pontiac but with the gas prices going up I think we could give up a few extra ponies.

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If the motor is covered under the warenty, I'd keep it for a couple more months while you look around for something

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats the plan. Kinda low on cash right about now since I just paid off a bunch of credit cards.

[ QUOTE ]
    she likes

[/ QUOTE ]
    LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Thats funny. She will get what I am willing to pay. All she cars about is if she can load a bunch of crap in it while shopping. Gotta be firm and show them whos boss. I hope like hell she never reads this cause I would be in big trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Corey, have you looked at the new nissan altima? They are built in Tennesee /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifand are really awesome cars, have a ton of power too.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yeah and the money goes to Japan. Sorry I only buy American made cars.

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

There are so many "American" cars made here and owned by over seas companies... I think anything you buy will be giving money to something over seas in some form.... seems nothing is solely American only owned anymore...

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont think it matters much anymore what kind of car you buy. Its a Global economy. GM/ Isusu,/Toyota, Ford/Mazda/Jaguar, Dodge/Benz, All own or are owned by forign companys. And they ALL own stock in each other and are in bed together. The parts in the domestic cars come from all over the world. Many major componets are imported. Espically in the smaller cars.
    Even my K5 is imported. (It was mostly built in Canada)
    If you buy a forign car you still support the American economy. Most are made here in America to get around import taxes, They employ Americans to build them, sell them, and fix em.
    I am not trying to convince you to buy a forign car. I was just stating a few facts. Personally I own all domestic cars. I perfer them because i know how to work on them and parts are usually cheaper. I like GM cars but I stick with the 3.8L engine. I think it is the best V6 engine GM makes. They are long lasting and make a lot of power.
    But there is still a lot of imported sutff in my newer GM cars.
    If you are dead set on getting an "All American" Car. You better start saving up for a Hummer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

it depends if you want to support the american worker or corpeate america....If you want to support the worker...you buy cars that are built here...ie nissan....if ya want to support corperate america, buy a ford focus....not built in america...

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You are SOOOO right. Hell most of the Fords, Dodges, and :gulp: even Chevys are built in Mejico. There isn't one car buil 100% in the states anymore. The Saturn used to be, but now most of the parts are made overseas and assembled here. Just think how our economy would be if we brought everything back home again! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif