Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

They found it!! -- updated w/ pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scooter, May 16, 2001.

1. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

As some of you know, my K5 was stolen from my work parking lot last Friday morning. Well, I just got off the phone with the KCPD about 30 minutes ago regarding my K5. They found it either late last night or early this morning about 15 blocks from here. I havent seen it yet but the gal at the PD said that it's pretty bad and is missing a few windows, the stereo, 3 wheels/tires, steering column, and who knows what else. As soon as i can get hold of the wife i'm gonna go take a look and see just how bad it is. So far I know its gonna cost me $50 to get it out of the impound lot (but hey, at least that goes against the insurance deductable). If i can borrow a digital camera I'll get and post some pics of the damage later.

Scot in KC, MO.
    Black 87 Chevy K5<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Scooter on 05/16/01 09:52 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Re: They found it!!

WooHoo! sort of. At least you got it back. I hope it is not to bad, and that it is up and running soon.

That's because I'm the devil.

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Congrats! Now let's find the varmit that stole it and make them the main event at a K5 pull.

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Yea!!!! I hope it's not too bad! Will the insurance cover the windows and everything?

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

5. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Well.. good to hear they found it.. sorry to hear about your loss.. My 89 Jimmy was stolen a few years ago.. I was afraid to see it in the impound yard..
    All the glass was broken out.. etc.. just like yours..
    But the insurance company made sure it was all back together.. I'm surprised they didn't total mine..
    Make sure you note everything wrong with it.. and go over it with the adjuster.. they tried to screw me.. but when I showed them my list of things wrong... they had nothing to say but fix my truck...
    Make sure the tcase isn't thrashed.. mine was when it was stolen.. and they had to replace it when I was driving 65 on the highway.. i complained about the noise to the insurance company.. and they tried to backout of paying..but the place that fixed my truck... told them I complained about the noise.. in the tcase.. so they were forced to fix it..
    Good luck..just keep on the insurance company.. and it'll all work out..

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com>http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com</A>

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Encourage a 'total' and then by it from the insurance company. If it has been flogged hard, this might be your best approach.
    Then buy a cherry and swap your good parts over. Just an idea.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Good luck with it Scoot. Hard to believe it stayed in the area so long without getting noticed.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html>http://jamonline.homestead.com/fromthegroundupK54x4/89Jimmy.html</A>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>

8. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Glad you got it back. Really amazing, considering they disappear ... like vanish!

Good points from Rocko ... wish you well!

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Thats good to hear....well even though the condition is a little less than desireable.

[​IMG] Dont steal my truck..I dont need anymore worthless junk over my fireplace.

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

That's good and bad...Atleast you found it,but it sux that there is things that are missing...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

11. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

OK ... I was able to borrow my bro-in-laws digital camera so here are some pics of it sitting in the KCPD impound lot <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/album/14207814DPZGFynfiA>http://community.webshots.com/album/14207814DPZGFynfiA</A>. The pics dont look too bad but the insurance folks think that the frame might be bent and if so they'll total it.

Here's the basic rundown:
    Interior - most of the interior is still intact. Whoever took it did a REAL good job removing EVERYTHING that was not bolted down. All of the papers, tools, wiring, stereo, lift kit, owners manual, everything was removed, but nothing but some trim pieces and the headliner (why?) were really torn up. Of couse the steering column was shattered.
    Exterior: again, nothing really here either. A couple of dings and scracthes, a couple of broken windows. They took all 4 wheels and the spare. The tow company didnt do any favors when putting the truck in the tow lot. The windshield also has a crack in it now too.
    Engine/Tranny/Etc. - these i do not know about yet. They took the battery too so i could not try to start it. However, when I took off the aircleaner lid there was a bunch of sand, rocks and large chunks of plastic all over the TBI unit. I also looked into the radiator and it was empty. The tranny only had about 25K miles on it and we wont know about that till its running. Tcase and axles will also have to wait until running.

The insurance saga: All of the items that were in the truck but not "permanently attached" to the vehicle will have to go against my homeowners policy, so the stereo will be covered under auto but nothing else will. I still have to get a list (almost 2 pages of stuff) of the other items to the agent before he can start the processes against the homeowners policy.

I think that covers most of it for now. I also wanted take some time to thank everyone for their words of encouragement and support. I think i'd be lost without this place.

Scot in KC, MO.
    Black 87 Chevy K5

12. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Aw fudge! That's almost as bad as never seeing it again.
    Good luck with the insurance. Who do you use?
    Dave

13. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Can feel your pain, as I too have been through a situation such as this. Like everyone said, keep on the insurance adjuster, he works real hard to save the insurance company money. Always remember who pays his salary. What insurance company are you with? Would like to know if they treat you well. Good luck with the everything.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 Vortec stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

14. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

those figin beestards!!!!! It brings a tear to my eye thinking that some jacka$$ or a$$s could do such a thing to the best
    vechical ever produced!!!! They need to be drawed and quartered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

15. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

This sorta sounds like a fellow K5 owner needed some parts. Sad, but possibly true.

16. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Have to agree with Rampage ... sure is suspicious!

Once again sorry!

17. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Rampage hell. I'd be out for some blood.

Hey Scooter, if they total it, would you get to keep it the way it is for parts? If So, let me know I'll by some of that interior stuff from ya.

Dude I couldn't stand to look at those pictures. It was hurtin me. I actually snapped at somebody here at work. That $hit just pisses me off. I hope your insurance CO dont bend you over. If they do make sure you get a kiss with it.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10/12 bolt w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

18. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

Don't remember seeing your K5 around. Too bad about it getting stolen. BTW, where did the cops find it? I was living in Northeast by the K.C. Museum, but just bought a house in Gladstone last month. I work downtown at 18th and Grand.

Phil in Gladstone, MO.
    1982 K5 Silverado Blazer
    Built in Flint, Michigan-January 1982

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That sucks! Why would they throw crap in the TBI?????? THAT is disturbing... Like it wasn't enough to rip stuff off, they had to damage it, too. I hope you had reallllly unique wheels on this baby, so you can track down the dudes that did this. They need to be found and equally hurt.

I'd be real wary of starting it if there's sand in the TBI. Maybe that can be used to your advantage with the ins. co., get a new motor out of this... Get what you can before they close the case!!!

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

20. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

I just spoke with the insurance adjuster. I will have to go back to PD and pay the tow and lot fees ($50 for now-goes against the deductable at least) before they can send someone down to evaluate the damage. At this point it'll probably be next week before they decide. I am with American Family Insurance, they've been pretty good to me in the past so we'll se how it goes. If they total it I would like to be able to keep it for parts, I know I could part it out easily, but I do not have the time or space right now to do it. I'll let you know what happens with it though.

For those of you in the KC area, it was stolen from 4400 Blue Parkway and recovered in a lot at 3323 Montgall (about 1 block east of 33rd and Prospect).

Scot in KC, MO.
    Black 87 Chevy K5