Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

they got me!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tecton, Mar 26, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

today, friend and i were "racing" in the "off road" parking lot for a soccerfield.
    Well we got done and we went up on the hill to set and chat....few minutes later, here comes 3 city po up the hill to us. THey said we were doing donuts and racing... ?

my friend video tapes the whole thing so we could watch later and lets the cops see it...they watch it and aparently gather that we were speeding (from the tape??) and write me a ticket for reckless driving.

now...few points

i was parked when they gave me this ticket.
    i was not driving when they came onto the scene.
    They did not immediately witness, nor clock anyone speeding.
    not even sure this is public property
    was away from everyone, out in the open not a person was in any danger at all.

Im going to fight the ticket in court already...anyone have anything i should tell them? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

They saw the video and it sounds like you admited that it was you. Sometimes it can be worth it to pay a lawer $50 for a consultation time. Basically find out if your screwed or if you can get out of it. Most of the time, Just going and talking to the prosecuter does the trick.

Is the soccerfield City owned. YOu might be out of luck. Best thing to have done was to not to have shown them the video. Then all they could have done was warn you unless a private individual wanted to press charges and you can always get out of those without proof.

3. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

f@&# that fight those pricks.first off you were probably on private property not a public road. take it to court cause if the cops dont show up it all gets dropped. good chance that their are more important things that they have to do than be in court for a b.s ticket.just my .02

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    , friend and i were "racing" in the "off road" parking lot for a soccerfield.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like you got a ticket for doing what you were doing. your lucky they did not get you with trespassing or vandalism.
    i'm soory but this is not what the public needs to see. you and your friend tearing up and down a feild or drit lot. and people wonder why we 4 wheeler get a bad wrap. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Tell them you were guilty, you did it, now take responsibility for your actions and hope for a defferred sentence. If the owner of the property determines you caused any damage pay them the restitution it takes to repair what you damaged.

Ask yourself..."is what I did illegal?" and when the Police pulled up did you go uh-oh. If so you knew you were in the wrong now it is time to take your lumps.

If it was Private Property consider yourself lucky you just got a ticket and not arrested and your vehicles impounded.

John

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    today, friend and i were "racing" in the "off road" parking lot for a soccerfield.... Im going to fight the ticket in court already

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif What you did was wrong, pay the ticket.

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you didn't have permission to use that land for your "racing" then you deserve what you got.

I'll echo the sentiment of some of the other posters.....this is the kind of "visibility" our sport does NOT need!!!! That videotape would make great ammunition for the Sierra Club (or other organization) as they continue to do their "land grabs".....

Let's be smart out there.....this type of publicity is NOT worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i put "racing" in quotes...cause im not sure you would call that racing

and no first thing they said was "this is private property"

i know what i did was wrong...i didnt know it was private property but all im saying is that its not going to take a fine and points to tell me to never come back...a warning would have done that.

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i didnt know it was private property

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but what's that got to do with it /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Most likely you knew that what you were doing was wrong, I could be off here, but I think I'm right. If it was private property and you had permission, that's one thing, but apparently you didn't. You then showed the police the video of you doing this act, proving their case.

I would plead guilty and take the hardship that comes of it. Like said before, we dont need anymore bad publicity, its hard enough to keep this sport alive sometimes.

John /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so what kinda property did you think it was /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

if it is public or private it's still not you play ground

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so what kinda property did you think it was /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

if it is public or private it's still not you play ground

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we are on the same page here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    cause im not sure you would call that racin

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well, I'm sure you couldn't call it 'wheelin. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyway, you shouldn't be complaining since they didn't even impound your truck, which the police have done around here. AND you were doing it by a soccerfield! Unless this place was in the middle of nowhere, it should have been obvious that people were going to see you do it and since they did they were obviously concerned enough to phone the police. So if I were you I would pay the ticket, especially if the land is private because you don't want the owner jumpin' up your ass for tearing up his parking lot.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What would you call it? It was your word, you may not have lined up and had a flagger but I envision two guys two wide going down a parking lot, speeding, and endangering anyone that might possiblly get in the way. It doesn't amtter if it was racing or not, public or private property if it wasn't your land you are in the wrong and like others said take your lumps you fed up.

14. Ryan2286

Ryan2286 Registered Member

I agree that what you were doing really wasn't that bad or warrented a ticket. Espicially if it is on private property. Also who cares if you have a four wheel drive truck and were screwing around, I'm sick of hearing all of this about giving a bad rap to 4-wheelers across the world. It seems like every magazine you read has this statement in bold on every page. In other words why do you have to drive like a grandma just because you have a front axle? Oh nooooo!!! An envirmentalist saw my tire lose traction on a road way surface, every single trail in my area will be closed down, if there are any trails in my area to begin with. I suppose for all you Californians trail closeur is a big thing but it just doesn't seem like that around here. there is no such thing as a publicly owned OHV area in the chicagoland area. So if one decides to to spin their tires in a gravel parking lot so be it, don't worry about reputation because they already have plenty off other things to complain about. have fun but don't be dangerous or hurt anything thats not yours. I'm not saying to drive recklessly but come on you can have a little fun, in moderation of course.
    -Ryan

15. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

:cough:non4x4:cough:

This is the 73-91 K5 Blazer/Jimmy/Suburban/Truck(87) 4x4 "Tech" forum.

Not the "Tell a story of how you broke the law ,admitted it to a police officer,then showed him a video of you breaking the law and then cry cuz you got a ticket" forum.

At least he didnt throw ya in jail for trespassing /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

im not saying let me get away with what i did
    im saying dont break in on my robbery and charge me with murder...

17. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Dude, take your left hand /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and put it palm up, straight out in front of you. Now turn your hand palm down. Drop hand directly down and between your legs and grab. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Its time to take yer nutz in yer hand and man up to what ya did. Pay the fine and be done w/ it. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

OK, Ill give you, you werent on the road. But even parking lots can have speed limits. Next time ya wanna do some drags find a pasture your ALLOWED to be in.

Showed the officers the video. BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Repeat after me...Wasnt me, I just got here, didnt see a thing, infact I gotta get to church, excuse me. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not the "Tell a story of how you broke the law ,admitted it to a police officer,then showed him a video of you breaking the law and then cry cuz you got a ticket" forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Couldn't of said it any better myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Let the cops see it? Jeez. I'd kick my bud in the nuts, then kick myself, then be pissed off, then pay the fine.

I did something similar this winter. Me and a friend were doing donuts and long slides in empty parking lots at the university at about 9-10pm. It was all frozen from a little rain during the day. There were no other cars anywhere, but I got lucky, the cop told me that that may have been cool, but it could be considered reckless driving and to stop it and leave the lot.

Not wanting a $600 ticket and demerits we left immeditaly. I know I won't be screwing around anywhere in the city anymore. It's intresting being young and stupid.

20. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

BINGO......go to another room to disuss this shittt , with that said ,Everyone has there opinion and the fact that you showed them the tape is STUPID , BUT every body plays every now and then and wreckless driving is a little harsh ....fight it or plea bargain for a different offense so you dont get hacked by the insurance in the future , and learn from your mistakes /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif