Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

They say I need a roll bar to run the Dunes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, Mar 3, 2005.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Our club is going to Little Sahara next weekend and the officials there are saying they need proof of integral roll bars (that are not visible). Steve has this link stating

"Blazers featured a steel half-cab with an integral roll bar built into the steel front compartment roof and lock pillar structures."

What I want to know is where can I find official documentation showing this? I looked quickly through the factory brochure section, but didn't see anything there - http://www.coloradok5.com/brochures/

Anybody know?

Thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh its bull but someone should know. If you ever cut one apart you know there is no real roll reinforcement other than a few layers of formed sheetmetal.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I agree, but technically it's "reinforced". I just need a document proving this.

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

no documnet but here is a pic
    [​IMG]

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I pulled that tidbit out of the book titled "Standard catalog of Chreverolet trucks".
    I would think that the authors got it from some kind of GM documentation but who knows.

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I quickly scanned thru the brochures Steve has and I found in 1976 on page 2 it lists that all Blazers have a steel half top with a built in roll bar. I couldn't find this verbage in the new brochures...

Can anyone find it on a new K5?

[​IMG]

7. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think GM's ad people took a shortcut on the Blazer used in that ad. I'd swear that the one use is a 75, that is unless 76's had the same rocker boxes that the 73-75's did. Plus the roof looks like a full top too.

Sorry to hijack. I just thought it was funny to see an ad for a 76 with a 75 in it.

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Are you sure this rule doesn't only apply to open top vehicles? All of the sanctioned events I've ever gone to only made a specific roll bar stipulation (sp?) for vehicles that did not have a steel roof.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

haha, GM themselves started the stupid Show truck fad of painting things multiple neon colors, huh?

10. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Why don't you just build a single hoop bar with the great fab skills you have:D

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

:screwy:

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Yep, I asked that specific question. They said the park rangers won't question any vehicle post 1994, because Federal Safety Standards require roof reinforcement to handle 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle. Pre 1994 the Feds did not require the reinforcement.

Post 1994 vehicles are not questioned, while anything older must have a visible roll bar or documentation showing an integral roll bar...

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I would, but I've got a set of sliders, some tube fenders for the new car hauler, a winch mount for my Patriot 9500 (quick mount to use on the front or the back), and a few other things to fab up before next weekend... :D

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The '76 model did have rocker boxes, and a half cab. That was the only year they did that...The little graphic above and to the right of the K5 shows a half top. The K5 itself probably has the steel part and the half top painted alike.

Rene

15. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It only applies to fiberglass topped vehicles that passengers will be riding in the rear. If you don't have a rear rollbar (at the back of the vehicle) rear passengers must wear brainbuckets.

Or at least that's the way it used to be.