Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

They're lining up around the block again

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Oct 30, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

They\'re lining up around the block again

It's a never ending cycle. I get too many vehicles here at once, get paranoid I'm angering the neighbors, then get rid of almost everything except one or two trucks in the driveway. Now they are piling up again. My mom parks across the street.

So far, only once did someone call me in for having too much stuff ( last March ). Cars and trucks were lined around the house. There was even one on the lawn.

I guess I've been lucky so far. It just seems as if I get the feeling that people that work on trucks and cars get looked down on by alot of people. (some people that walk by stare at the driveway to pick out things that look "ugly" and then get that look of disgust.) They spend more effort looking for things they dont like, than to look at things they do. I guess people just like looking for things to complain about.

Has anyone had problems with neighbors complaining?

2. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

Re: They\'re lining up around the block again

i haven't. my neighbors were really cool bout me leaving the blazer in front of the house for like 6 months. they didn't even care when i had to move out of that house. i left it there for a few weeks. they didn't care. well i guess living there most of my life helped with that a bit. but man that is alot of trucks. lots of badass ones too. don't let em get to ya. if ya have em on or around yer property and not theirs they have no right to b*tch bout it. i guess some people don't have the right taste and their too dumb to fix their own vehicles. later.

jacob

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I'm jealous, my K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif has been parked in front of my house since we got back from Blazer Bash. I wash it every week (even armor all the tires ) to keep it from looking abandoned and the neighbors still complained. I have to move it (push by hand since the tranny is still dead) every 4 days or they will have it towed!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Maybe I'll have to complain about thier ugly assed regals and cutlass' with the 20'' gold spoked wheels being eyesores /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

4. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I know what its like to have angry neighbors but mine dont complain to me they just give me stupid looks when they drive by. I guess I cant blame them because I live in a condo complex and most of them are old. The best is when I'm degreasing something or changing fluids because of the rainbow stream that goes to the catch basin. If you are having problems just make sure your vehicles are on your property and not in the street then they cant do S#%&.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

when i lived in the city i got notices from the sheriffs and the parish beutification board all the time. now i bought a house in the country and noone is close enough to care.

nathan

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I think the zoning law here is 1 non-running vehicle per household. And, I live a mile out of town on 2 1/2 acres, in a "general zoning" area. Meaning it is less restrictive than residential. Pretty dumb, huh? Our previous neighbors were fined. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

You know allan ther is a solution to that, work on one car at a time!
    Now that said i get to look foward to be yelled at for things such as sacralige and the like /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I think most people will not confront you personally. I am sure my neighbors just love the noise and vehicle collection here at my house, but again, not a word from them. Oh well. They did call the cops on a neighbor down the street once.

9. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i have it pretty good, i dont have neighbors so park my broken crap all over the place. right now i have 9 non-operatin vehicles and a friends destoryed trailer. one of them is a freinds camero that broke going thru my mud pit so he just left it here. me and blazinaire played monster truck on it it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. mountainexplorer

It's nice to be able to store stuff where no one can see it. I have room, but it's 85 miles from my house. So far, that hasnt stopped me from having over 40 vehicles parked there (mostly parts ones, some runners, and about 12 belong to friends that are storing them there). I still havent figured out what to do with these. ) If only my neighbors in town knew what it looked like at my other place, they probably would be grateful my driveway here looks so "clean".

There is one guy down the street that I refer to as the Dodge guy. He moved in with his girlfriend who owns the house, after his own mother evicted him (and this guy is in his late 40's) because he had too much junk. He has been reported numerous times by various neighbors.

One thing I do usually, is play "musical cars" with the ones that run. Every day, or at least every other day, the vehicles on the street get re-arranged or switch with the ones in the driveway. Right now, all the ones in the driveway don't move under their own power, so I get to shuffle 4 trucks around on the street. Tomorrow, I plan on some major re-arranging.

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I luck out living "in the country". I've had my two trucks (78 K10 shortbed, and 80 K20 longbed still in primer), my 2000 Maxima SE (now sold), my trailer, and tons of other stuff out in the yard and no complaints (some people actually think it's cool). Now that the Maxima is gone, I have replaced it with Noangel's K5

I guess it would be a little different if they were all "clunkers", but the 78 is fully restored and sweet looking, the 80 is physically sound (just in primer), and I just reconditioned my trailer last year and bought a new ZTR so everything looks "nice". Michelles blazer is also in great shape so that helps too. Most people don't really bother worrying about things like that around here, so I guess I am lucky.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I have to say that if I was your neighbor, I'd be pretty pissed at you too.....

I like K5's (obviously) and can appreciate that sometimes the urge to own more than one can be very powerful. But looking at those photos, it looks like you've got all kinds of stuff lined up and down BOTH sides of the street...including a campershell thing, and a boat? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'm dealing with something on a smaller scale with my neighbor now. The owner has illegally subdivided her house into about 5 apartments and even converted the garage into living space. That means that each tennant has to park on the street. There is never an "on the street" spot in front of my own house to park in....or for guests to park in. It's a real annoyance to see one person taking up ALL their own space, and ALL of mine too!!! I can't even count the number of times that they have partially blocked my driveway trying to squeeze into spots where they don't fit.

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with Greg on this one. All mine are in my yard, in areas where they are unobtrusive. I have the luxery of having enough room on my property (even though I have to drive on the lawn) to keep my vehicles off the street. On the street in front of your house is OK, but in front of the neighbors is not a good idea. I don't know if you had permission from them, if so OK , but if not that is a little inconsiderate.
    Greg, if they are blocking your driveway (even partially), I am pretty sure you can legally have them towed at THEIR expense. Maybe some of the law men/women on this site can shed some light on legal recourses. The only thing I would fear is below the belt retaliation.

14. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

40 vehicles eh? ok you win. i like what you did with the crushed cars. i want to do the same thing but i cant bring myself to crush any of them. (execept tims camero /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) cuz they all have some good parts on em i plan on useing or sellling eventually.

15. mountainexplorer

Well, I'm not that bad yet as far as stuff on the street. It always stays on my side of the street. In a couple pics, I had some friends over, so they parked adross the street. (Also, my mom's boyfriend lives next door to the south, so sometimes I have temporarily parked a truck on his side overnight).

The pictures from March were just of a rediculous situation. A friend got kicked out from his house, so I helped him by putting his camper on my truck with him staying in it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif (another violation I'm sure), his boat behind my truck, and his Blazer parked behind that. Another friend had just gotten a Toyota Celica from the same guy that was moving, so that came here, too. Plus, I had several of my vehicles here that couldn't go up north yet, since there was still 2 feet of snow in our field. Then the big Crew Cab (which was my friend's at the time) broke down, and ended up parked here as well. It was pretty bad looking though, and I cringed every time I thought about the "mess" outside. It was that way for about a week, and the day I had enough of looking at it, as I was preparing a Suburban in my driveway to tow out of here (step one in cleaning up everything), a cop drove by slowly. I knew exactly why. He said someone had complained (and I didnt blame them either). He was really nice about it, and I told him it was my goal to have everything cleaned up within 3 days. He said he'd stop back by in five days. My main violation that he pointed out was a truck I was trying to get rid of that had no motor or tranny that had been on the street for 2 days. By the weekend, only one vehicle was on the street, which was my Suburban that I was driving.

There are a couple of older neighbors that walk by all the time. I guess my mom has talked with them, and their wives don't like all the different trucks here, but I guess they (the husbands) tell the wives not to complain, since they know what kind of person I am.

My friend Jeff has all kinds of stuff in and out of his place, but he keeps the peace by knowing and being friends with all his neighbors. He always gives a friendly wave to everyone that drives by.

I always try to keep the peace, and maybe thats the reason I've only been called in once so far (I'm sure there have been many other times that I could have been reported). My main goal now is to get rid of the "junkyard" look I have created on the property. I'm starting to get annoyed by how it looks now, remembering back to how clean, untouched and natural it looked 10 years ago. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

24 Reasons I'm a disgrace to the family (in my opinion. No one else has complained about the junkyard, but I'm complaining to myself)

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

just so you know greg.... in cali, if someone is parked in front of your house, and not a gues of your house you can tow them with no notice..... if i didnt live so far away i would bring m y truck out there and start the towing for ya....
    but i live to far away.
    Grant

17. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I live near a small community that has an ordinance about "abandoned" vehicles. Even if the vehicle is on your own property, you can be fined and the vehicle towed. One guy I know that worked out of town for two weeks at a time got a threatening letter about a newly repainted, licensed, and insured truck he drove every two weeks when he was back in town.

18. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I know how yah feal! I have 4 cars in drivway, 1 not on road. I have my 2 at one friends house and 1 at another friends house. We just moved in and I am not ready to piss off all my neighbors! I have a local cop on one side and a local fire man on the other. and we have all those stupid zoning laws about vehilces here. all welll, laws were made to be broken!

19. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i had a [arts truck that got towed by the zoning commission during spring cleanup.i had a guy coming to buy it and he hauled his trailer 3 hours to get here and then no thruck.the next day i got a call from the police because i reported it stolen saying it was towed 2 days prior and they hadnt got the paperwork from the salvage yard yet.needless to say i got it out of impound and sold the truck to the guy who was pretty under standing so in the end i lost 35 bucks for the towing fee and the guy was happy cause he got the truck finally.he just didnt like the fact that he had to drive the distance again. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif