Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thick 4x4 housing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blazerteam, May 7, 2005.

1. Blazerteam

Blazerteam Newbie

Was just wondering about the differences between the housing for the th400 and th700 4x4 versus 4x2?

Arent the material thicker on the 4x4 housing?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes they are different. 4x4's tend to have K case transmissions. I don't think all 4x4 cases are K cases but alot of them are.

Harley

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the main difference is that the 4x4 cases have the holes to mount the cast torque converter cover.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

It's more of a late vs early model thing rather than 2wd vs 4wd. From around '79 on most (if not all) trans shells were cast with the bosses for the HD flywheel cover. 2wd stuff was still equipped with the tin cover inspite of the fact they had the undrilled bosses for the thicker HD aluminum covers. All of the 4wd applications came with the HD cover.

Take some time to familiarize yourself with the actual shells rather than applications. Go to the Webshots link in my sig and look in the parts album for example pics of an undrilled 2wd case.