Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Thick 5.13 gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chvyhs, May 10, 2002.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Is there anything wrong with using the thick gears for my 3/4 ton FF? It has the 3.73 carrier right now. I just want to know if the lower ring and pinion are any weaker. Should I get a new carrier?

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

if i remember correctly it just makes the ring gear thicker and the pinion stays smaller...

i went with 4.88 thick gears cuz the only new carrier i could find was from gm for like over 200 bucks i think...

Later

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry about the pinion on the 14 bolt being too small. I would however worry about the size of the pinion on the front axle being that you said it is 3/4 ton. So that would mean you have either a d44 or a 10 bolt right? I would think that using the thick gears would make the ring gear stronger than using the regular gear with the correct carrier. What size tires are you going to be running? If you are running tires big enough to justify 5.13's, maybe it is time to go 1 ton with the front axle. Just my $.02

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I want to run 38's. Right now I have a 10 bolt front. I'm not planning on doing the front gears. I'll wait until I get a Dana 60 and do the gears then. I would like to do the rear gears now so I can run the tires. I also do a lot of towing, that's why I want to go to such a low gear. I would also like to run an overdrive tranny, so if I gear low it will take a lot of stress off of the trans.

Thanks