Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

thick caked on grease... what to use? sand? eazy-off doesnt work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Nov 20, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I have grease so thick that i'm sure its at least 1/4 inch at a few places and i cant see the bolts under the grease in others. i soaked it in oven cleaner over night and it kinda made the top 1/16 of an inch crusty, but the over all grease was still thick, any ideas to get into crevises and get the thick grease off with out a wire wheel (wont fit) or wire brush?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

degreaser and a powerwasher will move the grease
    VIM and a scrubbrush is the manual way

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

pert plus for oily hair?

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately the only thing I have ever had luck with when it came to grease that bad was a screw driver or a pick. You'll need to scrape away the majority of the thicker stuff before any cleaner will take away caked on grease like what you have. That's how I had to clean my axles, tranny and t-case before I rebuilt them and slapped them under my rig. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

so pick at it with a screw driver, then more oven cleaner, then let it sit for an hour or so, then power wash it? I do have a pressure washer, so this might work

6. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

From my experience, The powerwasher alone does a pretty good job at removing the thick caked on stuff. Did that on my old truck without any cleaner at first and it mostly came all off. Then go back with the degreaser for the final cleaning. Wear a face shield though, the grease WILL get everywhere! Ask me how I know!

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

dude, i love your sig /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Get it steam cleaned. The hot steam + pressure wash cleans EVERYTHING off.

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

pressure washers do not clean anything, they just move the grease onto something else

10. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I've always had good luck with Simple Green. Go to Costco and buy it by the gallon. Spray it on there and let it sit for a while. Then hit it with the pressure washer and do it again if necessary. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Try Castrols Super clean IIRC..It is the purple stuff..Use full strenth but dont get it on your skin...!!!!!!!It workd good on painted areas too ..Just try a wipe under the hood to see the good results.. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks, i pressure washed it, then sprayed oven cleaner, now letting it sit, then another wash should do the trick /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive had good luck with stuff called grease lightning. it comes in spray bottle like windex (but bigger) you spray it on and let it set for like 30 minutes (even takes paint off if you let it sit long enough) them pressure wash it off.

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Brakeleen and lots of toothbrushes....... that's the Greg72 way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I typically buy my Brakeleen by the case, if you don't believe me just ask 4X4HIGH, he's seen me in action with this stuff. Also, keep a fire extinguisher handy. After a while the fumes will impair your judgement and bad things can happen...... BTDT /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Brakeleen and lots of toothbrushes....... that's the Greg72 way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I typically buy my Brakeleen by the case, if you don't believe me just ask 4X4HIGH, he's seen me in action with this stuff. Also, keep a fire extinguisher handy. After a while the fumes will impair your judgement and bad things can happen...... BTDT /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Bake cleaner is the way to go, I just cleaned off asphalt on the side of a jeep I just bought with the stuff, Dont let it sit too long on paint, I use the stuff so much that I bought a brake cleaner sprayer of Harbour freight that holds 1 quart at a time and you just pump it with compressed air. You need to buy the cleaner by the gallon, it will cost way less this way in the long time than with just cans. Trust me I know! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

tho brake clean works awesome... you guys should try lacquer thinner thru one of these http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=13107&group_ID=17879&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

lacquer thinner cuts just about better than anything.. tho brake clean and carb cleaner are excelllent solvents too....

i've had that tool for about 20 yrs, great investment... sad thing is it looks to be about double what i paid for it ions ago... i'm sure Mac and others make it too...

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What is the grease on? A sand blaster works good.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Gasoline.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You beat me Z3PR!!.I was going to say gas too!--but its real dangerous!--I use it,but with extreme caution.Diesel fuel works too,but doesnt cut the grease like gas or laquer thinner does,or other solvents like mineral spirits or paint thinner.I've had mixed results with Castrol Super Clean,its powerful and will strip paint off brand new lawnmower motors( /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)but on thick grease it takes several applications--same with Simple Green,Greased Lightning,and other similar chemicals.Cheap oven cleaner at the dollar store has worked better than the "Gunk" engine bright stuff at twice the price. I agree the steam cleaner wins hands down when it comes to heavy sludge removal--places that fix semi-s always have one handy.Brake cleaner might work next best,but its too pricey for my budget! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

20. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

I have used the Castrol and hook up the pressure washer to the hot section of the water boiler to wash deep grease. This works very well.