Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Things are starting to get interesting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 66chev, Apr 4, 2006.

1. 66chev

66chev Registered Member

Well i think i got it bad now, this weekend I emptyed my bank account to buy two more trucks, a 77 longbox 4x4 and a 80 shortbox 4x4. My plans are to turn the Shortbox into my wheeler and by the time im done the longbox is going to be pretty much gutted. The 77 has a 203 case and the 80 has a 205 so something tells me there is a doubler in this trucks future :laugh: . Its looking like the 77 has a pretty good running 400 in it and the 80 has a 350 that runs pretty good too. They both have TH350's. Maby ill go with 53" springs in the front and a shackle flip in the rear. They are both 1/2 tons and ill have to stick with that for now, i dont have the $$$. But anyways, i was wondering if all you guys could give me some ideas of where to go first and what i am getting into. I have a feeling that this project is going to take off pretty quick so i will probably end up spending the $25 for a ck5 mebership.

Thanks

66chev

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

We need a little more info....
    what do you plan to with the wheeling rig? mud? rocks? trails?
    How big do you want to go?
    What size tires do you want to run?
    Do you plan on driving it on the street?
    Now that you have drained the bank account what kind of budget do you have for this?

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:whistle: I see a Dana 60 in your future

4. 66chev

66chev Registered Member

Honestly i have never been wheeling in a full size truck, jeep, or anything except for a dialy driver and four wheeler alot in the summers. I live and breate everything that ck5 is about though, and i do not doubt my love for my trucks. I can tell you that this is with out a doubt a full time trial rig. This truck is not going to be a mud truck, it will be used as a rock crawler and trail rig. I am do have a heavy right foot and if i do something i will do it right. I am still in high school (for 2 more months) then i go to wyotech in september so my funds are nearly nothing. My bank account is at about 126 bucks right now but i just got a job so that will help. I do not want to go that tall but i want to go big, somthing like 14BFF and D60 with 53" springs in front an a doubler with a heatly motor. Tire size is something that i dont know much about right now but i know they have to be big. I say that because i cant buy 37" tires and use them for a couple of months then realize i need to get 42" tires. I am not afraid to cut fenders either, with the truck i got you could say that cutting fenders woudlent exaclty be a hard decision to make. I know a guy that might have found me some 3/4 ton gear but i have no idea how i can buy it. I think i will just have to wait untill my bank account isnt feeling so abused. I was wondering if i could go straight to 52" springs in the front and do a 4" shackle flip in the rear, would the springs give me 4" of lift in the front and would it make more sence to do crossover stearing at that time too. I think i will stop there and ask more questions later, this is getting pretty long.

Thanks alot guys
    Levi

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey, we all have big plans for our trucks, but $$ holds us back. Full size rigs can cost some mad coin yo.:D :deal: