Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Things I Have Learned Recently...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Today I got my truck back on the road /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Major happy dance all around. It's been almost 3 weeks of sharing a car with hubby. If you didn't read the carnage post, here is what happened:
    [​IMG]
    I bent the main shaft in my 241 transfer case, broke off the rear housing, broke my rear driveshaft including the slip yoke, and put a big dent in one of my mufflers /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    I insisted on doing my own work. I want to know all about my truck and don't want to miss out on a thing. There is no better way to learn than experience! What I learned:
    1. tRustyK5 is a great guy, for sending the transfer case parts.
    2. Bearing housings are not interchangeable between the '90 and whatever newer model the donated parts came from. It's like they are complete opposites.
    3. There is no substitute for snap ring pliers when dealing with snap rings
    4. Hammers really help small people do big jobs
    5. Be careful when attempting to pull out someone who is stuck in the mud. I will only yank a blood relative from now on. Can't afford to do this again. We still have a broken truck that needs an entire front axle assembly and a tranny
    6. Winches are worth their weight in gold. We'll have one next year. Sooner if we find a special deal.
    7. Little torches are nothing to be afraid of. I used one for my first time. Helped a lot!
    8. Air tools are neat.

I think that is about it! Felt VERY good to get behind the wheel and take it for a test drive today. I drove it over to hub's shop to return the snap ring pliers. Drives like the same old piece of crap it was before I broke it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I suppose it will take a few days for the sore muscles to go away. Transfer cases aren't exactly light. I'd like to thank tRustyK5, CapnCrunch, the neigbhor's brother (with plastic magnets in his hands, lol) for finding a piece I had dropped and helped the chain go back on) and of course my wonderful hubby, who walked in the garage just in time to suggest there might be an o-ring for the pump. Thanks to all of you for your help in taking the case apart, too!

Next step is to clean it up. Nothing like working on a broken truck that broke after a romp in the mud. Yuck.

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

thats a real bummer, looks like some bad stuff, sorry to hear about the carnage, but glad to see that your happy about gett'n it back on the road, i blew my 10 bolt gov loc, and had to get another diff, i got a 12 bolt off a friend fer free with the matching front 10 bolt, talk about a bargin, anyway i know how you feel, i didnt have my truck going for a week.. 5 days of searching 1 day of finding, 2 days of installing and getting missolainious parts (new chrome diff cover, straps for the u-joint, new cross over u-joint, 80w90, and brake fluid. but good to hear yur back on the road. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Glad to hear you got it back together. That's a hell of a lot of work to do. It scares most folks into hauling it to a shop.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Andrea, those parts came off an IFS T-case...drivers side drop. That would be why the housing or whatever was an exact opposite. I wasn't 100% sure it wouldn't work so I just sent it/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good to hear you got it back together!!!

Rene

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Cool, I had no idea that even happened. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Good job on getting it done though.
    What front axle parts do you need to fix? I have a few assemblies in various states of disrepair.

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

It's still going /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I feel pretty good about that.
    Hub has a K20. He has 38" tires and keeps breaking D44 axle shafts. Rather than keep on breaking them, we would like to locate a 1-ton drivetrain for him and then I can have the 3/4 ton axles. So, he needs 1-ton axles.
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Hey, I'm glad that you sent what you did! Now, I still have to tackle that power steering problem /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Always something, ain't it?

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It never ends...so you might as well enjoy the adventure!

Rene