Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Things I learned putting on a body lift...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle89K5, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

This weekend, Okiemuddog and I put a 1" body lift and new body bushing on my 89. Here's the short list of how the day went.

1. Krennen brought his compressor and impact, so we figured we'd be doing well, except that his cord wasn't long enough to reach the plug /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif A little concrete block work got that solved and now WE'VE GOT AIR!!!
    2. Started to take bolts off. The first bolt on the front posed a problem, we should have noticed this was going to be a long day, but NOOooooOOOoOO we press on.
    3. Got to the bolts in the middle of the body when things went downhill. My hand slipped of the ratchet and hit the bottom side of my truck. At first I didn't think I had hurt it, till I looked again, apparently you are NOT supposed to be able to see bare bone and leaders when you look at your hand. Off to the ER we go /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    4. St. Johns of Sapulpa doesn't deliver baby's. This may sound odd, but my wife and I are expecting and if things were bad, we figured we could just go there, GUESS NOT!!!
    5. When they peel your skin back to check for damage to tendons, leaders, etc... it can make your stomach turn. Although the actual stiches didn't bother me...
    6. Back on the truck (nope, I didn't stop there) The back two bolts are AWFUL to get off. We decided not to drop the tank, and managed to get it done, but not with out a lot of work.
    7. Grinders don't care if they are cutting through a bolt head, or the back of your hand. Injury #?
    8. Have either some spare body washers or something to make body washers out of, especially when you get mad at a carriage bolt and drive it through the bed of the truck in an extreme display of fury /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    9. Tetnus shots HURT after a while!!!!!!!!

That's the short list. Let me just say, that without Krennen, I would have NEVER gotten this thing done. I was all but an invalid after the trip to the ER, but he stepped right up and worked harder than any 3 men I have ever seen. Special, EXTREME SPECIAL, thanks to Okiemuddog for all the help. I owe you BIG TIME!!!

If my typing looks bad, then I'm sorry, I found out yesterday that I also broke the bone in my hand when I hit it, forgot to ask the ER doc about that /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The truck gained about 2" of lift out of this swap, 1" from the pucks and about another inch from the new body bushings. It rode GREAT today with a lot less body roll.

Sorry for the ramble...

KP

BTW, Krennen, you can keep all of my blazer that you took home with you in your shoes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

So what I'm hearing, Krennan is now trained on how to do a body lift. The wheels in my head a turnin'........ /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So what I'm hearing, Krennan is now trained on how to do a body lift. The wheels in my head a turnin'........ /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't EVEN want to know how many times he muttered "I'm never doing body mounts or a body lift again, they can ROT OFF!!!" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif He's a trooper, no question about that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Damn dude, it sounds like you've been though it!

Makes me think twice about pulling my 3" body off and replacing it with at 1"!!! I hate hospitals!

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds like an eventful day. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Where did you find a 1" body lift. (What manufacturer and retailer?)/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

1" Body Lift Kit

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

What Goober said. ORD. Here's the kicker. I lost the instructions to the body mount kit, so I called up ORD. Told them that my wife had bought me a body lift kit and the instructions for the body mounts were gone, Watson sat for a second then said "Kyle, is that you" Bad juju man when the guy that runs ORD knows you by VOICE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Laketex, yep, I went through the ringer this weekend. No question. I think if it hadne't been for the trip to the ER, things would have been a LOT better /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, a few things I left out of the original post.

I can still manage to find a use for the sawzall, even when doing a body lift. Then again, I've used a sawzall when putting a starter on /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

You will need longer bolts when you have to put a piece of plate on the bed floor, fortunately, the local ACE hardware carries said bolts for about $2.17 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

<----This guy's an idiot. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks Goober for the link. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Dang Kyle,
    I guess I am glad I WAS out of town this weekend, what a mess!
    Glad to see you got it done! Now on to the next project - After 4-6 weeks of recovery. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I hope you don't start adding 4-6 weeks to every project you have to do, you'll never get it done! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dang Kyle,
    I guess I am glad I WAS out of town this weekend, what a mess!
    Glad to see you got it done! Now on to the next project - After 4-6 weeks of recovery. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I hope you don't start adding 4-6 weeks to every project you have to do, you'll never get it done! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. I will admit though, this is the first trip to the ER due to the blazer, I guess I had it coming. After the bedliner, it's BUMPER TIME!!

I get my stitches out next monday, but I think I goofed. When they sewed me up, they asked if the hand was open or closed when it hit, I couldn't remember so they sewed it up like it was closed, now I can't close my hand without the stiches trying to pull out. May have to stretch that out a little /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I just took off a 3" body lift and put new mounts on and it was pretty uneventful /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif None of the bolts posed a challenge and I ended up cutting two bolts out.

If you cant get a bolt loose on the carriage bolts, instead of grinding off the top of it, try a sawzall between the body mount and the frame, or where ever you can squeeze the blade in fairly easy...it worked quite well for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

If you cant get a bolt loose on the carriage bolts, instead of grinding off the top of it, try a sawzall between the body mount and the frame, or where ever you can squeeze the blade in fairly easy...it worked quite well for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We couldn't get the nut to budge, so we had to grind the top down to get the slack in the body. Once we were there, then we broke out the sawzall and got to cutting /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On the other side, we beat on it for about an hour without it doing anything but puckering the floor, we took the sawzall to it and it vibrated it enough to knock the rust off and let it drop out...

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

pictures man... both the hand and the truck... he he
    Grant

14. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    pictures man... both the hand and the truck... he he
    Grant

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!! I'll see what I can do. The best looking carnage is the grinder wound, the other is just some piddly looking stitches and half a golfball stuck under my hand. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The truck on the other hand looks good, nice a subtle /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

Anybody got any ideas for getting the bottom part of a core support bolt out. I was going to put on a body lift till right off the bat broke the head off the core support bolt and couldn't get the rest out. Called off the job, sold the lift. Now about 10 months later still have the half of the core support bolt in there. Tried socket (turns intire thing, but won't come out). Tried hammering from the top, no good. I've about given up hope on getting the thing out.

Kirk

16. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Kyle,
    Yep, mine will rot off before I change them. I didn't think about you breaking your hand either /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I hope I don't have to do that again any time in the near future. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

John,
    Make you a deal you pay to have my gears put in and I will come do your body lift for you /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

To who ever asked about the core mount bolt, they have a little aluminum lock ring on the bolt under the mount. Get a pair of dikes and cut the ring thing off and the bolt should come out. You will have to jack the body up enough to get to it , but should be easy from there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Krennen

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Hmmmmm, what would go good with that body lift, some other new product you've been waiting for.....

NOW I know what you meant about the hand, hahhahahah, sorry to hear your on the RJ side of pain land

Cool deal on the b lift, hope it works out

BTW - Those things with those things that I'm not gonna send with those guys but with the other guys that you've been wanting should be done Tuesday evening, look for pics

18. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

As a small update, the swelling is all but gone, but the soreness is still there, and we left a LOT of small bits and pieces in the bed of the truck, those things make a LOT of noise. I felt like someone had stuffed me in a cloths dryer with about 30 ball bearings on the way home /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

RJ, I'm ready man. I'm REAL ready for those things from the guy who won't ship with the people /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

On the core support bolts, Krennan nailed it. He spotted those little rings, and I'm not sure how, once those things are cut, the bolt *should* come right out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KP

19. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

And after we get the hard to get materials, and after we do the impossible fitting, and after we create the rare custom things, after all that and we try and move them with the incomeptant shippers, it's just s'posed to bolt right up?

Yeahhhhhh......

(continuation of movie joke)

Should be done tonight maybe till tomorrow noon

20. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And after we get the hard to get materials, and after we do the impossible fitting, and after we create the rare custom things, after all that and we try and move them with the incomeptant shippers, it's just s'posed to bolt right up?

Yeahhhhhh......

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Been practicing that speech?