Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Things I will need to change with my 1 ton conversion?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by yunit, Aug 31, 2001.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

My current setup is 10 bolts from and rear. What will I have to change in order for them to bolt up. I know I will need to move the rear springs perches. I heard awhile back that they sell universals that will allow me to keep my drive shafts; does anyone have the part number and where to get them? Id there anything else I am missing? Thanks.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

2. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

1 ton has bigger brakes,so you have to change mastercylinder to bigger.

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You dont "Have" to change the mastercylinder. Besides, on your 87 you have power assist for your brakes.
    IF you get the 14 from a 3/4 you wont have to move the perches. Maybe just re-angle with a shim or re-weld. YOu'll have to incorp your current E-brake cables to fit the backing plates of the 14 bolt. Its free and can be doen in 1 hour if your diligent. Napa sells the conversion U-joint. I have one in the garage that Im not going to be using. I lost the receipt so if they wont take it back I'll give it to you for what shipping costs. That should be less than what it was to buy. I cant remember. What else......You driveshaft length may change a little. Mime actually seemed to be a little shorter. But I raised the T-case back up so thats most of that. All that was just for the rear.
    For the front you'll need to get backing plates, the rotors and hubs from a 80's model k20. All that front stuff is direct bolt up, no mods till you start mounting wheels then you have to grind on the backing plate and the calipers to get the wheels to fit unless you buy some wheels with 3" backspacing.

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Cool. Let me know about that u-joint.

1987 Jimmy Sierra Classic, Palisades Park, NJ 07650

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

You don't have to grind your calipers if you get 16" or 16.5" rims. The grinding is only done to fit 15" rims. My one suggestion to you is if you find a donor vehicle that has a complete front axle, take as much off of it as you can. What I mean by this is take everything from the backing plates out. Then take the axle shafts. This way you have spare parts. I took everything from the backing plates out on my donor axle and now I carry extrs spindle with bearings and axle shafts. It won't cost much more and you won't have to go back. Plus it's just an added security. Also the part number for the hybrid u-joint is #447 from NAPA. Another part that you should have a spare of. Not every part store carries them. Just my .02

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

BTW Ftn96 how did you end up doing your e-brakes? Did you do it my way or another?

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>