Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Things to change for future Blazer Bashs'

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by miniwally, Oct 7, 2005.

1. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After this year I found a few things that I think should be kept and also a few things that should be changed for the future BB events.

1st keeper: The catered food was great. Much easier on Fox, and my family(ORD). It was nice to get off the trail take a shower and show up to food that was being prepared and then cleaned up. IMO very worth the $$.
    2nd Keeper: Getting out on the trails early. Everybody meeting up on the tril and getting out early made the evenings more enjoyable. It also let my get parts to the buggy and get it fixed before it got real late. :D

Things to change:
    This was the first year that the Hotel has been a good distance from the camp ground. I didn't like this. I never even got to see and visit with the guys that were camping out. Sorry. I think next year we should move the group hotel backout near the Slickrock camp ground or find a Campgound that will accomadate the rigs coming in that is close to a hotel. IMO I would pay a few extra dollars a night to have the entire group closer together.

I also think that we need to setup the trails and trail leaders ahead of time. Every year it seems a little confusing with the show up at City Market and then decide what trail to go on. I know that Steve has tried a trail posting every year but maybe we add a trail sign up sheet. Maybe even different mtg spots for each trail??
    Finally when on the trail the trail leaders need to keep things moving along. I might have come off a few times a little pushy/rude about keeping the group moving on Hells revenge but I knew that we were spending to much time stopped and we could have a tough time getting to the BBQ. I am of the Opinion that if you keep moving through the easy spots you always have plenty of time at the hard spots for everybody to BS. Plus that way if a rig breaks you have more time to deal with it.

Over all I had a great time and am already looking forward to next year.
    Please post up any feedback. This is a constructive critisism not a bashing deal.

2. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pretty much sums up how I have felt in the past.

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yes, I finally had a good idea, I hope the food was good. :D

I think something that might help is everyone knowing what trail were on, that way the late guys that feel good about their rigs can catch up to the group if they have to, but I agree an early start is nice.

Good idea.

In years past we have had a signup sheet, the problem was people changing trails due to breakage, time etc.. but I do like the idea of maybe meeting at different locations for different trails with established trail leaders, actually thought about this again this year for the same reasons you mention.
    In todays day and age of communication through Cell and CB we should be able to handle unexpected details that pop up.

I think that if we had times and meeting locations nailed down it would avoid the confussion of everyone in one spot. Make sure all the groups know what trails, and the meeting locations of the other group just in case people show up at the wrong spot.

If we have two groups, maybe have the two locations "NOT" at the market as not to confuse people as everyone stops there before a trail run??

I agree!!

I know I am, will have something to pull, haul and wheel next year.

OK, another issue that I need help on is this; It is really cool to pull up on Friday before the BBQ and check out all the rides! The only problem is, it gets dark a few minutes after everyone shows up, should we have it earlier in the day, should we have it on Sunday? Also after the raffle, people take off right away because it is late, especially this year, sorry about that, caters thought the event was on Saterday.
    Anyway, looking for ideas where people can mingle and talk mods etc. and check out each others work in the daylight would be way cool.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I thought the event was great, and we will be back next year. The raffle was outstanding! I also thought the catered food was good, even if they were late. Of course this was an awesome group to wheel with.

I have two suggestions

The first has been mentioned, a trail leader. Actually I like trail boss. :D

I would say that there could be a volunteer found to be the trail boss for each group. That person could be responsible for selecting the trails to be run, meeting place& time, and policing the trail run itself.

It could be up to the trail boss how the trails were selected. If they wanted to start a thread here with a poll or just pick the trails themselves, either way would be up to him/her. There are plenty of people like me that don't care because all of the trails are new. Having the trails chosen in advance would give the interested parties a chance to decide which group they wanted to run with based on the trails to be run.

An advantage to this is that the itinerary could be printed out and distributed at the picnic. So if anyone decided to switch trails at the last minute, they would know where to go.

Additionally, if someone had any questions about whether they could run a trail, they could contact the trail boss to find out.

I think it would be best if all the trail info was figured out at least a month in advance. I kept checking Blazer Bash.com to see what trails were going to be run so I could check their descriptions in my book. So it would be nice to know ahead of time.

I don't know if you could do a sign-up sheet because I know of 3 trucks that were there and don't have any kind of membership at CK5.

I guess really the trail bosses could kinda work like a committee so that the trails were coordinated. That way both trails would be the same difficulty or leaving from the same place.

One of the things I was wondering about is whether or not there are enough trucks to warrant 3 different groups, not counting the AZ guys because they definitely don’t need any help organizing. Obviously the trails the Sheet Metal Gang ran were difficult enough for me to break pretty good, but still I wonder if there would be some demand for trails that rate between what we ran and what the hardcore guys ran (if they exist). I suppose that is where the sign-up sheet may come in handy.

My second suggestion would be asking for volunteers to help out with whatever. I know I would be willing to help out with whatever I can. I’m thinking anything that would make it easier for the few who are doing it all now.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well, I didn't make it this year, and was stuck with the friday Helldorado disaster in '03...so for me just making the BB-Q would be a big improvement. :rolleyes:

I'd rather wheel than BS anywhere else, but at Blazer Bash I personally would have loved an early afternoon meet and greet with everyone. Aside from a few guys at the Slick rock and a few guys I wheeled with I felt I didn't get to meet everyone i wanted to, or get a chance to check out everyones trucks. IIRC I got to say hi, shake your hand and take a quick lookover the UAV at the city market before everyone was leaving...

I think aiming to get most everyone together a couple hours earlier on the Friday would be awesome. Usually by Sunday there are a lot of guys fixing thier stuff, whereas Friday is usually less hectic cuz less has broken. :D

Rene

6. mrk5

We didn't have time to check out any rigs this year.

I think it would be great to have more time before the BBQ, but it seems like it would be hard to do with a trail run earlier in the day. I guess it would take a firmer hand on the trail to crack the whip.

7. mrk5

I like the idea of a registration desk, and to tie it into one of my ideas I'm sure there would be people that would volunteer to man it if needed. That way you know everyone there has paid, and all of their contact info has been collected.

That sounds like a cool idea. One trail on Saturday for all the Sheet Metal Gang, and then come Sunday the group could be split up. That way Saturday gives the opportunity to figure out what trails the trucks are capable of.

8. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Well here's my $.02 for what it's worth.
    As Brandon said, I like the idea of being closer to the camp ground so we can all get together but it seems like almost everyone over there hits the hay early and has to be quiet by 9:00 :dunno: . I haven't heard of one invite to the camp ground for a get together yet. I also haven't seen may of them (besides a few) escape after dark. I think they must lock the gates there or something, so being closer is a good idea but I'm not sure I see the point.

As for getting the food catered, I totaly agree! It wasn't just that the burgers were awesome but I like that everyone can talk and no one needs to work. I'd pay extra if needed for this vacation advantage.
    I also think that having it a little earlier wouldn't hurt. I'd like to meet somemore people that I talk to on here and it never seems like enough time.
    I wish people would stay around after the prizes for a little more meet & greet. Man, I never saw so many people book at once..........where's the fire?
    Next year I might donate a killer prize and not call numbers until later :rolleyes: . Name tags would be good also and a registration table. It doesn't need to be maned, just sign in and pick up your name tag and BB Plaque! ...hint...hint.
    I'd also like to have a little parade through town with all the trucks sometime. I think it would be cool :cool1: .

As for a trail sign up sheet, sure! but it's hard to tell what trucks will show up for the Sheetmetal Gang side. It's easy for the hardcore trail guys. Since I seem to have been a leader since the begining, I know that it depends on who shows up as to what trails we can run. I'm not taking some sweet Blazer and turning it into scap over a trail decission. I'll run almost any trail, just not with a stock K5.

The next item goes hand and hand with above. Starting early sounds good but I must admit that I had a great time hangin with some of the people I haven't been able to before because everyone called it a night early before.
    I thought it was the best hanging in the parking lot or brewry with you guys.
    I guess I'm just a night owl but to me it's just about as much fun as wheelin .......... well, almost. I like to keep guys moving on our rides but I also figure that if you brought your truck all the way to Moab to try it out, we can spend a little time to stop and get some awesome shots of it in action. Maybe because we are always on the somewhat senice route that we take a bit of time to stop and check out the sites.
    Maybe we don't get as far as I'd like but EVERYONE will have a good time :D .

All & all, I'd say it came out pretty darn good this year and I'm just happy to be able to wheel with such a great bunch of people :waytogo: :saweet:
    That's all for now.

9. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The Major players in the Campground scene are the Arizona boys and I know that they don't go to bed early. They are great to hang with and don't seem to mind good people crashing their party and hanging. We just need to do it because they have the hot setup for hanging and BSing.

Catered food should stay, earlier may not be a bad thing to try, Name tags??? Not for me. I won't do a parade but only because I am so far from street legal.

I don't think we should pick a trail based on the least prepared vehicle. I think the trail should be picked with the middle 50% of the pack being able to do the trail with little to no problems provided the driver has good skills. IMO if you sign up for a trail and the requiremnts are to have body protection, and lockers and you show up with lockers, perfect body, no protection and want to run the trail I will explain the carnage that is about to insue but will not tell you no. Hell, We drug Jasons Crew cab through Upper helldorado last year because he wanted to do the trail. I was glad to help and happy for him (I did try a little to discourage him but not much).
    I guess this goes along with my theory that each person is ultimatly responsible for themselves. I will help, advise, encourage, or even discourage them but what they do or don't do is their choice. I just want to make sure that person has all of the info needed to make an informed desision about what they are doing.

I think with the size of the runs for the harder trails we need to get an early start. I don't think all of the Pritchett guys were off the trail until after 7:00 Saturday night. They were on the trail at 9:00 or so in the morning. I enjoy staying up late and hanging but I personally needed about three more hours of sleep through the weekend and a little less time with my Bud, Jack.
    I do think that each ride is different. But it always seems that there ends up being plenty of time to smell the roses on a large trail run.

Over all Blazer bash is a good event that is family freindly, guys only weekend freindly etc. I have had a good time from the first one that I went to and should continue to enjoy them even if everything stayed the same and never changed.
    Keep up the good work Mr. Fox. Thanks for putting the event on and doing so much work. Also Dirk does a good portion of work for this event and nobody ever really knows it.

10. mrk5

I kinda picked up on Dirk's contributions. I think we are fortunate to have a local guy that helps out with the event so much. I heard that he had to put foot to ass with the caterers.

I think the event is great. I just don't want it to become too much work for Steve to be able to do in the future. I'm a member and officer in a local car club, and we put on a big Father's Day poker run and car show every year with over 160 cars. It's been going for 24 years now. That is just a one day event and it takes the whole club to pull off.

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Hey! He's my friend too you know :D
    Gotta watch out for the Tarantulas out there too.

I just don't like to leave people behind if possible.