Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Things to do when you have 8" of lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 4, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Things to do when you have 8\" of lift?

Hey, Im going to be getting a 8" lift when the funds are here, and I was wondering what things I have to do for it, like for steering correction and all that. And <font color="red"> Please </font> tell me who makes them and where I can purchase/do these things. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Things to do when you have 8\" of lift?

If you're NOT planning on doing crossover steering, get everything from Skyjacker as they have all the right pieces for steering correction along with longer brakelines. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Do yourself a favor, just stick with 4" or 6" and avoid the steering and driveline issues that 8" brings up.

Front driveshafts HATE lifts over 6". Hell mine hates the 7" I've got.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

sorry, but whats cross-over steering? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do yourself a favor, just stick with 4" or 6" and avoid the steering and driveline issues that 8" brings up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do they hate lifts over 6"? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Angles.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay, but how do people with larger lifts than 8" deal with the vibration from bad angles? Isn't there some way to fix it? Thanks for the replies though /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you could just man up and buy some real drivelines. I have had over 15" of lift in my trucks and ran front driveshafts at highway speeds. Shop for those at high angle driveline.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Do they make driveshafts for 8" lifts? Or do you have to get them to make them custom according to your drivetrain? Thanks.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes, you're right, that is always an option, one which I'm going to probably do eventually.

With 1/2 or 3/4 ton axles though I see no need for 8" of lift. That's enough to clear plenty of tire, which will absolutely destroy any 10 bolt or D44 front with nearly any wheeling.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

When I get the suspension to 8" of lift, I will have D60 and 14bff. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Do they make driveshafts for 8" lifts? Or do you have to get them to make them custom according to your drivetrain? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

So will they? (Sorry If im inpatient /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) Thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i have an 8 in. lift. i'm using skyjacker softrides for springs . steering unless you don't really wheel it do a crossover, you can get away with a drop draglink and steering block but the minute you start flexing it out on the trails you'll lose steering input. mine is from ord. the front shaft will be your last hurdle, get a good quality one, i got mine from tom woods it has a 35 degree c.v it has been in for over 1.5 years with no problems.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just wondering why 8" lift ??? What do you plan on doing with your truck ??? I've got 6" lift and it's questionable if I want to play on the rocks. Good thing rocks arn't my thing. With 6" my center of gravity is pretty high. Getting off at angles is kinda scarry, feels like it could tip over pretty easy. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

HAD shafts rock, I run them. I still dont recommend any more than 6" of lift though. Unless you plan on specializing in VERY deep mud and want to run 44" or larger tires, I dont think tall lifts are good for much in a practical sense.

At any rate, driveshafts from HAD are built custom to your specs/requirements... so when you call you'll need the measurements from axle yoke/flange to t-case yoke/flange.

What tire size do you plan on running? which axles? what gears? what t-case? more info would help us help you...

j

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So will they? (Sorry If im inpatient /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) Thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Yes, you have to have custom shafts built specificaly for your vehicle. For the rear I would get a CV style joint for the top and a regular 1350 joint at the bottom with say a 4" tube. With the front you will need an aftermarket high angle CV and you might need to remove some material from the crossmember to make it fit. This may sound crazy for a sec but you may not need to actually lengthen your front shaft. From what I have heard a D60 pinion sits 5" further back towards the t-case because of the bigger housing, with an 8" lift that would be like having a 3" lift on your front shaft and should be OK. But I would say you might as well spend the money and upgrade your front to 1350 also why your at it.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All axles put the pinion in the same location. The shaft isn't different because of the '60.

In fact, the '60 in itself adds lift, so it effectively shortens your shaft.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    HAD shafts rock, I run them. I still dont recommend any more than 6" of lift though. Unless you plan on specializing in VERY deep mud and want to run 44" or larger tires, I dont think tall lifts are good for much in a practical sense.

At any rate, driveshafts from HAD are built custom to your specs/requirements... so when you call you'll need the measurements from axle yoke/flange to t-case yoke/flange.

What tire size do you plan on running? which axles? what gears? what t-case? more info would help us help you...

j

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on running 38's, with D60 and GM14bff, NP205 t-case, 5.13 gears, and I want to run 8" for clearence for the tires and ground clearence with the axles, should I just go 6" if 8" is too tipping? I will be trimming fenders. Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

j

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan on running 38's, with D60 and GM14bff, NP205 t-case, 5.13 gears, and I want to run 8" for clearence for the tires and ground clearence with the axles, should I just go 6" if 8" is too tipping? I will be trimming fenders. Thanks for the replies, keep 'em coming /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ] If you're not afraid to trim the fenders, go with a 4" lift to keep your center of gravity lower. 6" will work though. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

For 38s I wouldn't try doing it with less than 6".