Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Things to look for in a new K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by complexmar, Jul 26, 2003.

1. complexmar

complexmar Registered Member

I tried looking this question up in the archives so I wouldn't be asking something that has been hashed out already, but I came up blank /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

So when I'm checking out a potential new K5, what types of things do I need to look for? Any insider info? I know that the rockers, and tailgates like to rust. Are there any places I can peek under the carpet without ripping it up? Or maybe give the 'ol Fonz jukebox tap to check to see if it's solid? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

And as far as looking underneath. Any notorious leak spots, or tell-tail warning signs of trouble? (specifically the 350 and 700r4)

Any buying tips would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Check by the pillar behind the front seats on both sides. Like you said, the rockers and tailgate area. Body mounts. Check the frame at the steering box for cracks. Also check for repairs and the quality of the work, if any. Then there is the standard stuff for any vehicle. Check all the fluids for their respective qualities (i.e. no water in the oil). That everything works as advertised, like windows roll down, all the lights, signals, gauges, etc. It might be a good idea to bring someone with you to help you check things out. Never hurts to have a second set of eyes and ears. Good luck with the potential truck.

Kris

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

let's see you are right on the rockers and tailgate hinge area. You shouldn't have to pull up the carpet just check the floorboards from underneath. Check the firewall too I have seen those rust away /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. This is important chech the frame near the steering box for cracks..GM was notorious for this weak spot. Auto trannies..check the fluid make sure it's not burnt. The 700 requires good maintenance, but I believe if you take care of it right it is a good tranny.

Buying tips......hmmm come to Reno they are everywhere and most of them are RUST free /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. complexmar

complexmar Registered Member

Thanks for the info! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you decided what year you want? Engine and transmission? The K5's cover so many years, you could get EFI if you want, or an old simple carb setup, or a nasty electric carb deal. You probably want to avoid a 305, unless you plan to swap something else in anyway.

I think the early years of TH700 trannies was trouble too. Stuff like that is what I'd be thinking about.

Personally, if I was starting over I'd check out the older "full convertibles" if I could find one rust free. Those look really awesome built up. But it would be wrong to abandon my child now and adopt another... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As far as a rust goes, I have very little, but it's at the base of the tailgate and around the door openings, especially under the weatherstripping.

Good luck.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Be sure to check the tailpan, It is what the tailgate hinges and rear mobdy mounts connect to and runs across the back of the bed. Also check the 4 cab supports that connect the cab to the body bushings.