Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

things you'd like to salp your truck's previous owner for...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Jul 5, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

things you\'d like to salp your truck\'s previous owner for...

i know some of ya have stories to tell, lets hear em! what did your rig's prev. owner do to your truck that really made you mad or cost you money?

as for me, the only thig the sub's previous owner did that i didn't like was put 30x12.50 BFG A/Ts on it. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Re: things you\'d like to salp your truck\'s previous owner for...

Hmm, Didn't do anything that pissed me off.....Atleast not that I've found yet. But he did install a switch to turn off the heater blower motor that would normaly run always. That was pretty cool. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

for me it would be when the previous owner put the "new" engine in and failed to see the electric choke wire that was smashed between the block and the tranny that fried the connection in the fuse box ( to big of a fuse) /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

this was on a pickup that i bought just to strip for part's.
    /forums/images/icons/mad.gif WELDED the tranny crossmember in. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

dave

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The parade of owners that had my truck before me apparantly all installed a variety of electrical stuff in, on, and under the dash, then removed the stuff when they got rid of it and left the wiring, then the next guy did the same thing, and the next guy, etc... Anyways, there must have been 3 miles of rat's nest wiring under the dash that didn't go anywhere and was just making a mess. Everything was splicd into everything else, it was a mess. Took me 2 days just to sort it out and get out all of the unneccessary stuff, and with all of the live wires hanging out I'm surprised that the thing hadn't burned to the ground. Also someone removed every trace of smog equipement, the sticker with the RPO codes that should be in the glovebox, drilled holes all over the place, inside and out, and did a really botched bondo job on the other wise nice uncreased hood. Nothing to out of the ordinary for a 25 year old truck that I think was a farm truck at one point.</font color>

6. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

Ok where to start???
    Took out fan shroud and put on " cool looking " chrome flex fan ( not big enough or close enough to cool the motor ).
    Put on a Holly 650 on top of stock intake and jeted/adjusted it wrong for the 350
    ( he had to over! advance the timing just to get it to run ) he thought it was a race car. ( 74 K5 )
    Put in a Manual steering column ( crooked BTW ) and moved the shifter to the floor ( Which isn't that bad except he put in a cable shift he ripped out of a Camaro )
    Home made wire job under the hood wires running every where. ( God knows what's what?? ) Add a leafs in the rear with air shocks and a really ugly spry can flame job. other then that its all good. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

For some reason the previous owner disconnected the AC. Not just the fan belt... All hoses and tubes were disconnected and left open. This means that none of the AC equipment is any good now. Might as well rip it all out because I took the top off anyways... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Took out fan shroud and put on " cool looking " chrome flex fan

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a dually that someone did that to. Hmmm...wonder why it overheated? derrr..../forums/images/icons/mad.gif

My blazer's been a good little girl though /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

I am only the 3rd owner of mine. First was the Sheriff's Dept. one county over. Some guy in between must have taken awful care of her, because when I bought her she was filled with trash, floormats cut to run wires, busted windshield, several dents, tranny was shot. The thing that bugs me the most besides someone being so mean to a fine truck, is that the moron drilled holes (2 of them) in the roof to run a coax cable and also a hole on the bottom of the inner pillar. They are rusting now. I tried to run my coax cable through, to maybe take advantage of the situation, but the end is just ever-so-slightly too big to fit in the hole!

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Say Polaris, My truck was orignally first owned by the Feds. It has a rear roll bar in it. I'm thinking of leaving it there and building off of it towards the front. I noticed that you don't have that bar when you took the top off. Did it come with one back there?

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

ive only got one...my truck had a hole drilled in the wiper cowl to mount a cb antenna...i removed it due to the fact that its really not a good spot to put one...well now there is a gaping hole in my wiper cowl that needs to be replaced or fixed...

Later

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

When I got my 85 Blazer it did not have an engine in it. The previous owner took the engine out himself, rather than disconnect the wires and hoses he just cut everything. He was going to put in a new engine but decided it was too much for him so I got the Blazer for nothing. (guess that offsets the cutting stupidity). I gave him an S-10 pickup I got for free for the Blazer. He was going to rebuild the 2.8 in the S-10 and like a retard cut everything again. Now he wants to hire me to fix it. The reason I got rid of the S-10 in the first place is because I did not want to work on the P.O.S..

John

13. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

When the ignition switch went out, the previous owner drilled a hole in the dash and put in a toggle switch, wired directly from the battery to the starter by passing the neutral safety switch and the ignition. You could flip the switch when every you wanted and the starter would run. but the truck would only start if the key was in the exact right position in the ignition. Of course, the bumps in the road could knock the key out of position and kill the truck. Now that I have fixed it, I still have a hole in the dash from the toggle.

The previous owners also installed and removed their electronics but not the wiring. After a small electrical fire under the dash, I removed all the extra wire and terminated all the dangling live wires.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Haha, I did that to my truck, except I used a push buton for the starter. It's been like that for 4 years now...and I have no intention of fixing it properly.

Rene

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea my dad put a push button starter under neath the dash in his 64 impala when the ignition went crapo in it lol

Bryan

16. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

A push button would have been acceptable. This was a toggle switch. If you flipped it on accident, it would run the starter until you flipped it back. I thought about changing it over to push button, but the plug into the ignition was melted and it just made more since to fix it right.

17. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The previous owner of my '87 had decided that these things can fly, because when I got it both rear shock mounts had been rewelded several times, you could see where they broke off. I found a tooth /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif under the spare tire. A motor mount was busted, the t-case crossmember bolts had stripped out so the t-case was floping around whenever I hammered the throttle, took forever to figure out what that THUMP was /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif And he had been driving with a frozen axle bearing, found out that one when the rear limited slip went out /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Now have hardened alloy shafts, and a detroit locker /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

The list is endless...

. Motor was seized after letting sit for 2 years after an engine fire.

. Never changed any diff/trans/t-case fluid.

. Mounted (2) 8 foot long CB antennas on the body (driling a 1.5 inch hole on each side)

. Put in a 3inch body lift to acomidate 35's
    (no suspension lift)

.Instead of trimming the front fenders, they hammered them back towards the wheel well.

. Cut a square hole in the front bumper to put in a reciever but never puth the reciever in.

. Drilled atleast 4 holes an the dash for CB mic mounts.

. bolted on side steps onto the rocker panels(instead of nerf bars) which led to serious rust after sitting for two years in the weeds.

. Filled the body parts with expanding foam for a backing for bondo without bothering to dry out the area first. This led to more rust.

. The owner also said she was willing to give me a pretty new Holley 650 carb with it if I buy the vehicle. Turns out that it was a Carter 800 something POS with any and alllinkage stripped off of it.

I know that there are many more things that I am overlooking. You may ask why in the hell I bought this K5, well this is not that bad compared to some of the others in the WA area. Atleast this one had a floor board.

19. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

the previous owner of my 72 said that it ran great now $3000 dollars later he is right it does run great and he forgot to mention those bottles of block sealer he put in it after the block busted and the brakes if used them they would lock up for two days and he said it had all the chrome rolled up in the carpet he didn't say it was bent rusted and the carpet wasn't even for the truck. he didnt tell me there wasn't afloor up under the floor mat in the front or that the pioneer cd player was supposed have only took cds in and then wouldn't play them or the radio wouldn't work i think that is engough for now

20. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

starting a bad previous owner list.i got one of those.my k5's previous owner thought that it was a baha truck and so treated it as such.the truck eas gutted and topless first off.he said he cut the factory softtop off with a knife cause "it didnt look good and it had a couple of holes".he had someone build a crappy 6 point cage that wouldnt have saved any lives in a rollover.he bolted it directly to the floor,so anywherre it attacheded had a 5 inch square hole there.so i cut that out and repaired the body.the guy never checked the wheel bearings and i didnt have a chance to before i lost my hub going down the road.the only thing holding my wheel on was the breakline stretched about 2 feet long.half of the wiring is cut and spliced.had 2 wires alredy short out.hmmmm,what else.oh yeah the guy had ring and pinion done i dont know by who but they were never torqed right and the first time i went 4xing i grenaded the whole 12 bolt axle carrier and all.pinion flange egged out from the bearings blowing so i had to replace that.it did actually get me home 20 miles driving 10 miles an hour though.when i got home it was smoking.from losing all the fluid.this is getting long so i'll stop now.anyone had a worse previous owner???