Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Think a 10 bolt will survive this trip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Jun 9, 2003.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I just traded my '78 4x4 truck for this '84 K5. I like everything about the '84 K5 except the 10 bolt rear. I'm used to having a 14 bolt under everything I drive.

I keep thinking the 10 bolt is going to randomly explode for some reason.

Anyway, think the 10 bolt will survive a 170 mile round trip towing a car trailer?
    [​IMG]

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just traded my '78 4x4 truck for this '84 K5. I like everything about the '84 K5 except the 10 bolt rear. I'm used to having a 14 bolt under everything I drive.

Anyway, think the 10 bolt will survive a 170 mile round trip towing a car trailer?
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it's all about how you drive it.
    I don't see your tires being more than 35" and that is about what a 10bolt can take off road, and I believe on road it will have less of stress, and remember to drive it smooth.
    Also is it manual or Auto, I am guessing auto, and that will make it easier on the axle no hard loads that could shock the axle.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mountainexplorer

Yep, it just has 33's. Originally it had a 305, 700R4 and NP208, but someone swapped in a 350, TH350 and 205. But they stopped there.

I just cringe when I shift it from drive to reverse... it goes "clunk" a bit louder than I'm comfortable with, so I'm almost expecting it to break soon.

That, and once I get up there, I'll be there for a week before I come back, which is a lot of time to be tempted to "explore" the roads around the area.

I think whether I am able to keep it or re-sell it, it'll be getting a 14 bolt.

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i tow my K5 on a trailor behind my 1/2 ton burb and have no fear. if you were running 35's or bigger i might worry.

5. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Well some of us aren't so lucky so I still have my ten bolts with 35's no problems so far...drove the truck from MO to Iron Chest, Wheeler Lake, Disney OK, lots of mud, and pulled plenty of trailers. I figure they put them in trucks for 20 years with out problems... Good luck with your trip /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

10 bolts arent made of glass. Its the loads imposed by huge tires and locked differentials that destroy them.

I have towed my 7000# boat behind 10 bolts for 6 years and have never had a single problem. Quit worrying. Just be sure to tow in drive, or you WILL have a tranny to worry about

7. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

towed a indentical trailer with a much heavier load a little over a thousand miles, no problems...

8. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

C-clips and spider gears (or grenade-locs) seem to be the only thing that ever goes in stock rear ten bolts. I think you'll be alright.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

10 bolts are good rear ends. I dont know why everyone around here gives them such a bad rap. Sure they wont hold up to 38"+ tires and a lead foot. They are not made for that. And the 10 bolt Guv locks like to go boom but that is the more the POS lockers fault. Not the rear end.
    I have 10 bolts in my K5 with 33" MTs and lockrites. I tow thousands of miles every year with no problems. It seems i am always draging something behing my K5. I also beat the hell out of it off road in rocks, mud, snow and sand.
    I service the drive train every year with quality lubes. and just go easy on the Gas pedal when in rough stuff. Those "Fragile" 10 bolts of mine are holding up just fine.
    I have no intention of upgrading to a bigger rear end.

Beings its a new(to you) truck:
    If I were you before you do the tow you should pop the inspection covers and check the diffs out and do a complete fluid change in the Motor, Trans, adn Diffs. That way you know whats in it and can check for unusual wear.
    Who knows what the PO put in it or what kind of care(if any) it had.
    BTW thats a fine looking Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. mountainexplorer

I guess I'll see how it goes. It's mainly just that it feels like theres alot of play between gears right now in it. I should pull the cover to check, but knowing me, I'll rush to take off in the morning and not check.

I'm more worried about this:
    I'm starting to get attached to this Blazer now and have thoughts in the back of my mind on how I can keep it. As if I need something else to keep. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The definitive answer
    It depends. The clunk could be signs of a bad u-joint, bad center support in the TH350, R&P going south, locker, etc. Depending on the life it's lead and how you drive it the axle may last or it may not. It may last 100K towing, or it could last 10 miles going to the mall. There is no real way to know.

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

A 10-bolt just won't randomly explode and should not have any problem towing.......if it is in reasonably good shape and not already on the verge of failing.

13. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think the same thing so I bought a 14 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

he said hes got a 350 tranny in it now so he wont have to worry about the OD thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif