Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Think a factory tach dash increases the selling value?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Aug 24, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I'm debating whether I should leave the factory tach dash in a truck I'll be selling, or swap it out for a regular guage cluster.

Think it's much of a selling feature to most people? (It's just a '77 Crew Cab)

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its a selling feature for any member here , but we still like em as cheap as we can get em , with as much good stuff on it as we can get . Anyone else would like it if you talked it up to them . I know they fetch damn good prices on e-bay , and the 73-87 stuff is in demand there /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm debating whether I should leave the factory tach dash in a truck I'll be selling, or swap it out for a regular guage cluster.

Think it's much of a selling feature to most people? (It's just a '77 Crew Cab)

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, No. Although it would be nice to have the factory cluster with a tach, Anyone can easily add one. I wouldn't expect anything extraordinary for having it. Keep it and put it in a rig you will be driving. Just my .02

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'd have to find someone that WANTED a truck with that tach in it for it to be worth anything. It might HELP sell it, but it won't increase the price unless the buyer can't add one themself, and will only buy a truck with a factory tach in it.

Factory tachs are relatively common on the '73-80 rigs, (compared to '81 up!) so that makes it even less of a selling point.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I pulled the tach dash out of my 71 K5 CST blazer when I sold it,mostly because the truck was kinda rusty and would only bring about 500 bucks,tach dash or not--most of the poeople who looked at it didnt even know what it was,and I knew they were selling them at swap meets for 200 bucks just for the dash cluster.I had several regular non-tach dashes,so I swapped one of them in it,and sold the tach dash at the swap meet for 100 bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i second that,i have a tach in mine but if it didn't i'd just buy one. a dash mount so i could look cool and stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif plus with the seven hundred and fifty trucks you own how can you tell /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Factory tachs are relatively common on the '73-80 rigs, (compared to '81 up!)

[/ QUOTE ]

What's uncommon about the '81 and up factory tach dash clusters?

I've thought about keeping it, but I think I have saved a factory tach dash cluster for almost everything. I guess if I pulled it out, I'd just sell it separate. But its probably not even worth my hassle yanking it apart. I know if I start screwing with too much on the truck, less and less things will work.

8. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Seems the big fuel guage was the standard option instead of a tach.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Seems the big fuel guage was the standard option instead of a tach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. That's what all three of my trucks have. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Cant recall ever seeing one on an 81 up truck yet--and I've seen hundreds of trucks in the junkyards,but then maybe the ones that had the cluster already missing were the tach dashes-- /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    I saw a tach dash in a 69 C60 dump truck at one yard,bought it for 25 bucks for one of my old K5's,but I ended up selling it to another guy that wanted it worse than I did for another hundred bucks--he went gaa-gaa over it when he saw it had a factory hand throttle! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What's uncommon about the '81 and up factory tach dash clusters?

[/ QUOTE ]

*Supposedly* the tach was only available in '81, which means only that one year tach will match up for any of the 81-87/91 gauges.

I don't claim to know that as fact, I've only seen one factory tach in the original cab, and it was an '81. My '86-88 GM parts manual does NOT show a tach as being a replacement piece, while all other gauges are.