Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Think I broke an axle yesterday.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LIFSVR7, Apr 26, 2003.

1. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

Well, I was gettin all sh**ty in a sand bowl... not too bad, cuz I was still in 2wd.. well bad part was when I got out on the street, I took off at a stop sign, and then !CLINK! NOTHING- drive shaft is good (just redone), new ring and pinion. And when I am underneath I can spin the driveshaft by hand like it is neutral... Any suggestions?? Not too sure what to look for... or where to start... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you have the stock axles? If so, then a wheel would come off if an axle broke. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It's one of the "features" of a semi-floating axle. Time to pull the diff cover and see what parts are laying in the bottom of the housing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well since u said nothing about one tire walking away from the truck i'm gonna say u basically fragged yur differential. pull the cover and take pics we love carnage! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Do like muddysub said and then start reading on how to install a 14b

5. LIFSVR7

<font color="red"> So the tires always flyoff?? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I think the axles are the stock ones... so driving it would be a bad idea huh?? I don;t think its the gears though, cuz when the shaft is turning there is no crunching/grinding/etc. so is it possible that the axle just hasn't worked its way off?? </font> /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you coulda broken the pinion shaft, or a number of other things, pull the cover and poke around....

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If it's an open differential there is a 99% chance you blew the spider gears because if you broke an axle you'd have a tire wandering in directions other than your planned route.

Spider gears are fun...
    [​IMG]

8. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    So the tires always flyoff??

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yep. If you break an axle shaft on a semi-floating rear end (like the 10-bolt, 12-bolt, or 14-bolt semi-floater), then the wheel on the side with the broken shaft will start coming out from under the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The only thing that keeps those axles from sliding out of the housing is a C-clip that's on the very end of each shaft, inside the diff.

I think that wrathORC probably hit the nail squarely on the head. Those 2 little spider gears are what transfer torque from the ring gear to the side gears. If those broke, then you'll get no power to the wheels. But I also wouldn't be out driving around in front-wheel-drive mode, just in case one of the broken gears decides to get jammed between a side gear and the case. That would be ugly at speed! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it is ugly. I lost my first spider gear at the 1.5 hour mark of a 8 hour trip. The second one went at about 6 hours. The next two hours were spent going 60mph on the expressway (in front wheel drive).

I ended up with a banged up pinion gear and some munched spider gear halves. As you can see the carrier didn't like the abuse.

Don't run it unless you have to.

[​IMG]

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

damn, what gear ratio was that? ring gear looks pretty thin, must have been high...

11. LIFSVR7

<font color="red"> Well, you were RIGHT.. I did poke around and found that exact same thing!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I have a pic, but can't get it up on here... As for replacing.. what should I do... the carrier isn't banged up lke yours- but 2 spiders are gone... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif </font> I was thinking of a locker or posi gear... but I am definately LOW budget... I saw an eaton for about 250... and how hard is it to do...???</font>

ps... It wrecked my diff cover too!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

2.73s, mon. With my NP208 in low range I can travel at 35mph in overdrive... at 1400rpm.

13. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Go to the junkyard and get the spiders, side gears, washers, and pin. You can go to the dealer and buy new ones (~$100, $40 being the pin). You can buy a locker or limited slip.

As for a locker, the Lock-right requires a pin but I don't know about the rest.

I know low budget, that's for sure. I dented my box, smashed a taillight, mangled a tailpipe, bent my pushbar, bent my bumper, dented the right front fender, dented/mangled the left front fender, and monkeyed up my driver rocker. I'm done fourwheeling with this truck. I'm going to fix it and it'll probably never see much use offroad again. Fourwheeling is fun, but not that fun.

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you have a factory open differential then I would say throw a lunchbox locker in it. A lockrite or similar. They are pretty cheap (usually under $300). It replaces your spider gear (which you destroyed) and it will solve your open differential problem too.

15. LIFSVR7

How hard is it to do in a nutshell... do I have to take the whole thing apart?? Ring gear/ pinion... because, don't you have to shim it up to make sure it aligns?? I just spent 300 in labor getting it put all in... or can I just take it out put in the lockrite and slide it back in??? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

with a lockright you don't even have to remove the carrier so re-setting of the gears isn't necessary. You just pull the pin, remove the spiders, remove the c-clips and side gears, drop the lockright in with the c-clips reinstall pin and voila, locked differential! They are about $240 from http://nationaldrivetrain.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page8.html

17. LIFSVR7

<font color="red"> Ok.. now I just spoke with a guy at Richmond Gear... (Lockrite), and the only problem I may have is that under ANY power it locks up, and makes turning a problem, right?? So I was thinking that if that is what it does I sould just get a FULL SPOOL and be done with it right?? O

18. LIFSVR7

<font color="red"> Ok.. now I just spoke with a guy at Richmond Gear... (Lockrite), and the only problem I may have is that under ANY power it locks up, and makes turning a problem, right?? So I was thinking that if that is what it does I sould just get a FULL SPOOL and be done with it right?? Or what about an Eaton Posi unit?? Or is it the same... I am supposed to have limited slip in it already... </font> /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

19. HarryH3

The locker will release the outside axle during a turn, as long as you aren't standing on the throttle. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It behaves quite differently from a full spool.

20. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

After watching lockers work this weekend, they don't lock up when turning unless you're REALLY on the stupid pedal. That means at full lock you have to be pushing the pedal pretty hard to get it to lock up. Under conditions when one tire doesn't start to spin noticeably faster than the other it stays disengaged. If one tire starts to spin they seem to lock up real quick... but if you're maintaining speed it doesn't.

I've seen a full spool in the front in action and I'd have to say it's a bad idea. It's really hard to turn on the steering box and frame.

I am told that anything is better than open. I have one person urging me to get a limited-slip for the front and it does work great in their Jeep compared to other Jeeps with lockers... but what about a truck where 70% of its weight is on the front tires?