Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Think i could yank a 20" dia. Stump outa my yard without blowing up.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, May 25, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Think i could yank a 20\" dia. Stump outa my yard without blowing up.....

...... My transmission?

My transmission went south yesterday, so im gonna have a good one built this time, no more 300 dollar cheap rebuilds...
    Anyway, theres this stump in my yard that is about a 20 inch diameter oak tree stump.... im just curious as to how much strain thats gonna put on my Th350.... How much digging would it take?.... would it be better to just get a stump grinder?

Kinda want to put on a little show for the neighbors though, but it would be kinda embarrasing to F my truck all up infront of them.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Think i could yank a 20\" dia. Stump outa my yard without blowing up.....

You can do it if you shift the tranny and t-case into low range and use a good strap.

I've pulled larger diameter stumps than 20" with my K30 before. Didn't take too much effort either.

What I do is use a chain to wrap it around the base of the stump, tightly to where it won't slip off. If you can, get a shovel and dig down a little bit to the roots and get some exposed to where you can loop the chain thru the roots. This will act as a support for the chain to prevent it from sliding off.
    Next, hook the chain to a stretch strap and the truck. Don't go "balls out" and try to mash the gas to get maximum force. Just go softly at first and let the truck do the work. If the tires start spinning, STOP. You don't wanna dig yourself into a rut. Just back up slightly and then try again, but with a little more oomph. Each time you stop and start digging/spinning, back up again and try it with a little more power than the last.

I've pulled a few stumps out and have never failed yet. I find it best that if you use a chain and stretch strap, get a jacket, coat or heavy blanket and hang it over the chain. This will prevent the chain from flying into the back of your truck/window/tailgate, etc. IF it should happen to snap or break.

Another idea would be to dig about a foot below the surface around the roots and use a chainsaw to cut the stump out. Cut as much of the roots as you can as this will help loosen the roots and their "tightness" feeling.

Good luck and let us know how the fun job goes! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Silver84k5

wont be diggin any ruts, i will be on asphalt...

Thx for the info, sounds like it shouldnt be too hard... I was thinkin that i just get some slack in the strap then Pedal to the floor and bang it outa there, heh glad you told me not to ;P /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    wont be diggin any ruts, i will be on asphalt...

Thx for the info, sounds like it shouldn't be too hard... I was thinking that i just get some slack in the strap then Pedal to the floor and bang it outa there, heh glad you told me not to ;P /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] if you do that it puts to much strain on the drive train and you will most likely break a ujoint especially on asphalt /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. Silver84k5

yea thats why im gonna do what wes said, and just keep givin it more power gradually, tell you the truth, Id be glad to break a u joint. Its been awhile since ive broke something that cheap lol.